19 August 2021

Started by KathyB, Aug 19, 2021, 08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyB

Happy Thursday from Bernadette!

DiveMilw

Yesterday morning we were getting some really heaving rainfall.  I went downstairs to check the dehumidifier and found water in the basement.  I could hear it coming in at the corner behind the washer.  It was pouring into the house.  And then when I went down again a little later it started to come under the door which opens to the stairs that go outside.  I thought we had a sub-pump in the basement but it turns out we don't.  Fortunately, the heavy rain stopped shortly after this and the water quickly went down the drain located in the workshop portion of the basement.  There are still a few damp areas but I set up a fan to keep the air moving and we have a dehumidifier.  Luckily the areas which got water are the places where (mostly) things are up on blocks or otherwise elevated.  I do have to do through a big box of rags and toss the bottom layer as that got soaked.  There are a few other boxes I might have to check as well. 

So that was not a fun way to start the morning.  I'm glad I didn't have to leave for work with the basement still filling with water.  There is the possibility of more torrential rain Sunday night into Monday morning from Henri.  The basement has not flooded in over 10 years so I'm hoping we won't get a repeat of Thursday morning.
I no longer long for the old view!