10 March 2019 Short Weekend

Started by KathyB, Mar 10, 2019, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyB

The way I dealt with one less hour of sleep was to fall asleep again. Thus I am just getting up. I hate this time of year when it's dark in the mornings.

I should probably do laundry but I don't want to. I definitely need to call someone about a logo design today.

Chris L

Thank God for Internet-connected technology. I've had to reset one clock today, my analog, solar-powered watch. It's very confused about daylight-savings time, because it sits in my window half the day, watching the sun, and nothing has changed at all.
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

DiveMilw

I was reading an article which said this may be the beginning of the end times for Daylight Savings.  A few states are pushing to eliminate it locally and want the Federal Government to do the same.  The article (which I can't remember where I read it) said the National PTA is against dropping DST because of the dangers of even colder winter mornings on school days.  This could turn into a red state/blue state issue wherein red = warm and blue = cold. 
I no longer long for the old view!

Chris L

The Uniform Time Act of 1966

"In many states, people are favoring another option: staying on daylight saving time year round. Some experts suggest this could have positive health impacts...since more evening light hours mean more physical activity, such as walks, trips to the park, and participation in sports.

"To do so, however, the U.S. Congress would have to amend the Uniform Time Act—a step in the process that is yet to happen."
But us, old friend,

Chris L

Quote from: DiveMilw on Mar 10, 2019, 06:46 PMI was reading an article which said this may be the beginning of the end times for Daylight Savings.  A few states are pushing to eliminate it locally and want the Federal Government to do the same.  The article (which I can't remember where I read it) said the National PTA is against dropping DST because of the dangers of even colder winter mornings on school days.  This could turn into a red state/blue state issue wherein red = warm and blue = cold. 

So, according to the article I linked to in my previous message, it sounds like what happens may be the other way around: We'll end up permanently on Daylight Savings Time. I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it will make it easy to sleep late. On the other, it will be an hour later before our living room is dark enough to comfortably watch evening television in. ;)
But us, old friend,

DiveMilw

Quote from: Chris L on Mar 10, 2019, 08:48 PMSo, according to the article I linked to in my previous message, it sounds like what happens may be the other way around: We'll end up permanently on Daylight Savings Time. I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it will make it easy to sleep late. On the other, it will be an hour later before our living room is dark enough to comfortably watch evening television in. ;)

I read a very similar article.  And, yes, it did mention that we would actually eradicate Standard Time and keep the misnamed Daylight Savings.
Your concern is a real one. Chris, and the answer isn't always blocking drapes.  I once lived in a house that got amazing sun in the evening.  It didn't matter where in the living we put the TV, until the sun went down it was difficult to see the screen.  But we didn't want to put up shades or curtains because it would have blocked the light which made the room so great.  (The view wasn't awesome.  It was just the house across the street, mostly. And, now that I"m thinking about it, the living room was on the 2nd floor so we didn't need drapes for privacy.)
I no longer long for the old view!