17-JUN-19 Taylor Has Your Back

Started by DiveMilw, Jun 17, 2019, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiveMilw

Taylor Swift's new video is a not at all subtle support vehicle for gay rights. 
She even encourages viewers to sign a change.org petition to support the Equality Act.

I no longer long for the old view!

scenicdesign71

Searching for the lyrics (of "YNTCD") just now, I came across this earnest analysis in the Atlantic, by a writer who seems concerned by the potentially trivializing effect Taylor Swift might have on the issues she means to address:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/06/taylor-swift-you-need-calm-down-hijacks-queerness/591829/

Make of it what you will.  Personally, I was actually somewhat impressed by the tweet, quoted in the article, in which the singer squelched rumors that her video would feature a Swift-Perry snog by noting crisply that "to be an ally is to understand the difference between advocating and baiting."  Which isn't to say that the writer doesn't make some worthwhile points, but still.

And speaking of needing to calm down: today at work, who should I see but LMM himself, right across the street from me amid a gaggle of other producer-types probably on their way to lunch from another nearby filming location.  Though it wasn't any kind of official set visit, he did seem pleased with the bodega we've been remaking from stem to stern, inside and out; and from where he was standing, right in front of Daniela's salon, he couldn't have failed to notice Rosario's car service and at least one or two of the many other storefronts and uber-nifty neighborhood details (including some Easter eggs that I won't spoil here) that we've been creating and/or modifying over the past six weeks.  There's still plenty of work to do, but it's coming together beautifully -- and even the exhaustion hasn't yet dampened my excitement.

Also: I had wondered, while Piragua Guy's cart was being painted in the shop a few weeks ago, who would be playing him... now it seems we have an answer.

DiveMilw

Quote from: scenicdesign71 on Jun 17, 2019, 08:41 PMSearching for the lyrics (of "YNTCD") just now,

In case you haven't found them yet....Here's the official lyric video
I no longer long for the old view!