15 November 2018 Thrilling Thursday

Started by KathyB, Nov 15, 2018, 08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyB

"Thrilling" because I went to the dentist this morning and had two cavities that need to be filled. :( Also thrilling because after spending fifteen minutes looking for my car key, I found it in the refrigerator. It had fallen inside a bag that I decided to put in the refrigerator last night without going through the contents. 

That's enough excitement before 9:30 in the morning.

DiveMilw

If I had "hidden" my car key like that I bet it would have been days before I found it.  Or until I got hungry for whatever was in the bag.  

Today seems like a great day to make chili in the slow cooker so that is what I'm going to do.  I am short a couple of ingredients so this will be overnight chili.  I'll put everything in the slow cooker this evening and it will be ready in the morning.  I might make a batch of bread pudding in my small slow cooker.  There is a recipe I've wanted to try but haven't gotten around to it.  Today might be a good day for that as well.  The bread pudding only takes three hours to cook so that might end up becoming my dessert tonight.  We shall see how much time/motivation I have.
I no longer long for the old view!

DiveMilw

The grocery stores are crowded for a Thursday.  Granted it was lunchtime but people were not just running in to get something for lunch.  They were doing some major shopping.   Between the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and the snow "storm" we are expected to get tonight (2"-4" which will turn to rain overnight/in the morning) I suppose everyone is stocking up. 

DiveMilw

Snow totals now predicted to be 4-7" depending on where you are in the state coming down at a rate of 1-2" per hour for the first hour or two.  That is to be followed by .10-1" of sleet and freezing rain and regular rain.  All this between 4 PM tonight and 7 AM tomorrow morning.  And then a high of 43 F so much of that will melt during the day.  

DiveMilw

I made both the bread pudding and the chili.  In my haste to get the bread pudding cooking I forgot to add the melted butter.  I dotted some butter on the tops and around the sides after it had been cooking for an hour.  And I had buttered the crock so it might turn out OK.  I'm hoping it will be more custardy than eggy.  It smells delicious.  The maple syrup I put used as the major sweetener is giving off a light smell and the butter adds some nice notes.  I'll scoop some out in the morning and eat it at work.  The chili will just be done when I leave for work.  I'll probably bring that for lunch so I'll have a slow cooked day as far as meals go tomorrow.   :)