26-Aug-17 Philly & Poe

Started by DiveMilw, Aug 26, 2017, 03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiveMilw

Today I took advantage of my flight benefits and flew to Phillidelphia to go grocery shopping.  I went specifically to get Cheddar Garlic bread from Beiler's Bakery located in the Reading Terminal Market.    I also got some of their donuts from the stall across from the bakery.  They are really fresh.  They make them there.  The Maple Bacon donuts I got were so fresh that they were just putting the finishing touches of icing on them while I was standing in line.  Needless to say they taste great!! I was going to pick up some olive oil and balsamic vinegar from The Tubby Olive but I ran out of time because.......

In order to make this trip not all about food I visited the Edgar Allen Poe House.  It was a fun and informative place.  The house is the last existing house that Poe lived in during the time he was in the Philly area.  Admission is free so if you find yourself in Phillidelphia and are tired of learning about the Liberty Bell, the Declaration of Independence, etc. stop on in.  
I no longer long for the old view!

DiveMilw

One of the things I learned was that Poe had a cat named Catterina.  
This is an artist's rendering of what a typical day might have looked like when Poe was working.
I no longer long for the old view!