02-APR-22 Chinatown Saturday

Started by DiveMilw, Apr 02, 2022, 05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiveMilw

After landing at 11:30 PM last night, I'm back home for a short weekend.  The purpose of this trip is to bring my mom up to Boston where her siblings are being interview for the Chinatown Stories Project.  I'm not sure exactly what this is for other than to document the lives and stories of the Chinese residents of Boston.  For me, personally, the more important part is that I'll get a chance to see almost all of my surviving Aunts and Uncles on my mom's side of the family.  Also, there will be yummy, yummy food!
I no longer long for the old view!

KathyB

I want to hear about the food.

Today was another nice warm day where we went on a nice walk around the block (and someone didn't poop >:( ).

DiveMilw

The project is centering on the history of Boston's Chinatown, especially in the past 2-3 generations.  Mom's family didn't live in Chinatown but did go there at least once a week.  Hearing my aunts and uncles (and my mom) tell stories of what growing up was like for them was very interesting.  They went to school, worked in the laundry, and at a certain age also had to attend Chinese school after regular school.  They did not have a lot of free time.  And they talked about what a great cook my grandmother was.  She cooked Chinese during the week and cooked western food on the weekends.  I guess Saturdays were often spaghetti and homemade meatballs.  

The food:
I didn't take photos this time.  We had an assortment of dim sum.  I don't remember what all we had or the actual names.  There were chicken feet (I didn't partake. I just can't get myself to nibble at them.), a variety of dumplings, some sort of meatball, things which were rolled up in noodle sheets, three main dishes and some broccoli stir fried with garlic.  Then we had egg custard tarts for dessert.  Yum yum!
I no longer long for the old view!