Books: The First Sentence

Started by Chris L, Jul 13, 2017, 01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordonb

I don't play this game but I bet that naughty @MartinG is teasing us with a book by one of our very own, Kinglet by the multi-faceted MrsMig.

MartinG

Busted!  ;D

Looks like you play this game now, Gordon...
Morals tomorrow

Gordonb

Quote from: MartinG on Sep 30, 2018, 11:27 AM
Busted!  ;D

Looks like you play this game now, Gordon...
"If only the swans would swim side by side on the dark green lake, this picture might turn out to be the crowning achievement of the wedding photographer's career."

I'm reading this right now ... downloaded to my Kindle just 2 days ago.

Chris L

@Gordonb - Given that you've just downloaded it to your Kindle, is this a new book or something that's been around for a while?
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Gordonb

Quote from: Chris L on Oct 04, 2018, 05:27 PM@Gordonb - Given that you've just downloaded it to your Kindle, is this a new book or something that's been around for a while?
Recently published- in the last 4 to 6 weeks I believe. 

Chris L

Quote from: Gordonb on Oct 05, 2018, 12:48 AMRecently published- in the last 4 to 6 weeks I believe.
Hmm, that's going to make it tough, given that I'm a couple of years behind on my reading. Still, the "wedding photographer" should be a clue...

Reposting your quote from the book:

"If only the swans would swim side by side on the dark green lake, this picture might turn out to be the crowning achievement of the wedding photographer's career."
But us, old friend,

Gordonb

Quote from: Chris L on Oct 05, 2018, 01:43 AM
Quote from: Gordonb on Oct 05, 2018, 12:48 AMRecently published- in the last 4 to 6 weeks I believe.
Hmm, that's going to make it tough, given that I'm a couple of years behind on my reading. Still, the "wedding photographer" should be a clue...

Reposting your quote from the book:

No Chris "the wedding photographer" has no particular relevance; the wedding being photographed is relevant to the ongoing development of one of the married couple's relationship with the "lead" character.

My use of "ongoing" should tell you that this book is not the first in a series ...

One more clue; I'm not sure that this genre is one that you read much Chris, but it is one which I devour with gusto.

Leighton

Is it the new Bridget Jones?  Is there a new Bridget Jones?!
Self indulgence is better than no indulgence!

Gordonb

Quote from: Leighton on Oct 07, 2018, 11:05 AMIs it the new Bridget Jones?  Is there a new Bridget Jones?!
Dunno, so that'll be a no.

Chris L

@Gordonb - I know that you read a lot of mystery/suspense/thriller fiction, a genre that's filled with series works -- so many that I don't know where to start looking at Amazon Look Inside pages for the quote.
But us, old friend,

Chris L

Okay, I guessed what it was and verified my guess with Barnes & Noble's Look Inside feature. (Amazon's wouldn't go past the copyright page.) It's J.K. Rowling's new novel Lethal White.

(I don't regard checking the online Look Inside as cheating. Looking up the quote in Google, on the other hand, would definitely be cheating.)

So now I have to come up with one. Give me a few minutes.

But us, old friend,

Chris L

I'm hoping somebody here has read the book version of this as well as seeing the film. (That's your first hint.)

"In those days cheap apartments were almost impossible to find in Manhattan, so I had to move to Brooklyn."
But us, old friend,

Gordonb

Quote from: Chris L on Oct 07, 2018, 05:24 PMOkay, I guessed what it was and verified my guess with Barnes & Noble's Look Inside feature. (Amazon's wouldn't go past the copyright page.) It's J.K. Rowling's new novel Lethal White.

(I don't regard checking the online Look Inside as cheating. Looking up the quote in Google, on the other hand, would definitely be cheating.)

So now I have to come up with one. Give me a few minutes.

Ok you've spoilt my ideas for teasers but well  done.
To be pedantic though it's not J. K Rowling's "Lethal White" it's Robert Galbraith's.

Leighton

Ooooh I think I know this one - is it Sophie's Choice?!

If so, I will offer this (though it may be a touch obvious!):

"On the morning the last Lisbon daughter took her turn at suicide - it was Mary this time, and sleeping pills, like Therese - the two paramedics arrived at the house knowing exactly where the knife drawer was, and the gas oven, and the beam in the basement from which it was possible to tie a rope."
Self indulgence is better than no indulgence!

Chris L

Quote from: Leighton on Oct 09, 2018, 12:56 PMOoooh I think I know this one - is it Sophie's Choice?!

If so, I will offer this (though it may be a touch obvious!):

"On the morning the last Lisbon daughter took her turn at suicide - it was Mary this time, and sleeping pills, like Therese - the two paramedics arrived at the house knowing exactly where the knife drawer was, and the gas oven, and the beam in the basement from which it was possible to tie a rope."
Bingo! You got it! I've taken the liberty of boldfacing your own quote.
But us, old friend,