Started by Chris L, Jun 20, 2017, 09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjlumia

Side by Side from Company

Its called a bowler hat

Chris L

Quote from: fjlumia on Jul 18, 2017, 03:08 PMSide by Side from Company

Its called a bowler hat

@fjlumia - I can't find the words "Time and again I've searched" anywhere in "Side by Side." Are you sure you're on the right lyric?
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

MartinG

Quote from: fjlumia on Jul 18, 2017, 03:08 PMSide by Side from Company

Its called a bowler hat

Nope sorry, as @Chris L suggests, that wasn't it.

Much older than that...
Morals tomorrow

Bobster

MartinG

:(  :-[   ::) Mea maxima culpa! So sorry everyone - promise that's the last time I play a hurried turn from memory without double-checking...

Should of course have been:

Time and again I've longed...

Apologies for wasting everyone's time.
Morals tomorrow

Chris L

But us, old friend,

MartinG

This is the opening of the verse, which perhaps isn't always sung, especially in the many jazz versions out there.

Morals tomorrow

valmont

Quote from: MartinG on Jul 26, 2017, 01:51 PMThis is the opening of the verse, which perhaps isn't always sung, especially in the many jazz versions out there.

I don't think I've ever heard it sung.  Ever.  I love ya, but I feel compelled to say that I doubt this clue will jog anyone's memory.  I gave up and did a web search.  The song is very, very famous, and one of the most recorded in history.  I daresay there are few reading this who don't own at least one recording of it (I own several).
I was born to ask "why was I born?"

Chris L

As Martin points out, the verse is often left off of modern (i.e., Sinatra on) recordings, but it does sound familiar. More recent recordings often put it back in, so I'll listen to some Linda Ronstadt and Rod Stewart albums to see if I can catch it. ;)

Time and again I've longed...
But us, old friend,

MartinG

Well another clue is that the lyrics are by someone Dearly Beloved of SJS...

I admit that lesser-known verses to songs from the Golden Age are a bit of a passion. My Dad and I have always enjoyed testing each other with them, but if you want to declare this a tad too obscure, @Chris L, I can offer an alternative  :)
Morals tomorrow

Chris L

Quote from: MartinG on Jul 27, 2017, 12:33 AMWell another clue is that the lyrics are by someone Dearly Beloved of SJS...

I admit that lesser-known verses to songs from the Golden Age are a bit of a passion. My Dad and I have always enjoyed testing each other with them, but if you want to declare this a tad too obscure, @Chris L, I can offer an alternative  :)
Maybe if you gave the first line following the verse (if it isn't a dead giveaway)...
But us, old friend,

MartinG

Fair enough  :)

You are the promised kiss... 
Morals tomorrow

Chris L

"All the Things You Are" - Kern & Hammerstein
But us, old friend,

valmont

I was born to ask "why was I born?"