24-Sep-17 What Goes Up Must Loop-the-Loop

Started by DiveMilw, Sep 24, 2017, 04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiveMilw

Today is the Special Olympics Coaster Challenge. I'm only signed up for a 5K but I'm hoping to get in a half marathon's worth of rides. It is forecasted to be very hot so we'll see how long I last. We don't ride continuously so I can take a hydration break as needed.  :)
I no longer long for the old view!

KathyB

Quote from: DiveMilw on Sep 24, 2017, 04:24 AMToday is the Special Olympics Coaster Challenge. I'm only signed up for a 5K but I'm hoping to get in a half marathon's worth of rides. It is forecasted to be very hot so we'll see how long I last. We don't ride continuously so I can take a hydration break as needed.  :)
So, how did it go?

DiveMilw

Quote from: KathyB on Sep 25, 2017, 07:59 AM
Quote from: DiveMilw on Sep 24, 2017, 04:24 AMToday is the Special Olympics Coaster Challenge. I'm only signed up for a 5K but I'm hoping to get in a half marathon's worth of rides. It is forecasted to be very hot so we'll see how long I last. We don't ride continuously so I can take a hydration break as needed.  :)
So, how did it go?

It was great!  The park opened two hours early for people doing the challenge.  They had two of the roller coasters operating early.  I got there around 09:30 or 10:00 a.m. because I thought I'd have to wait to ride. Based on the amount of money I raised I was only signed up to do a distance of 5K.  We had the last priority to ride since ours was the shortest distance.  But not as many people were there early as I had thought there would be.  I was able to ride the longest coaster in the park, Raging Bull, 8 times in a row because there weren't enough people waiting to fill the train.  I rode 3 times in the last row, 3 times in the second last row and then 2 in the third last row.  Between the rides and the heat I was starting to feel a little woozy so I took a break.  I had completed my distance on my fourth ride so everything else was gravy!  I rode Raging Bull once more in the front row and then moved on to the other coasters in the park.  As a participant I could use the "flash pass" lane so I was able to fit another three coasters, lunch and a few "cool down" periods.  Did I mention how hot and humid it was on Sunday?  
I was sitting next to a guy who was doing the full marathon.  He rode Raging Bull 14 times in a row before taking a break.  He was older than I!!  I'm hoping I can do this again next year.  
I no longer long for the old view!