Tuesday 10 July 2018

Started by Gordonb, Jul 10, 2018, 11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordonb

So 2 weeks today we'll be leaving this house and moving into our little apartment for a short time before we make the permanent move to Turkey! I moved into this house in July 1981 (actually on the day that Charles and Diana got married) so after 36 years it probably is not a bad thing.

I'd also just like to say that President Trump, whose visit we are greatly looking forward to, got it a bit wrong telling the world that the UK "is in turmoil " - there may be a few political hiccoughs but they are hardly classified as "turmoil".

scenicdesign71

Quote from: Gordonb on Jul 10, 2018, 11:44 AM...President Trump, whose visit we are greatly looking forward to...
I'm tempted to classify this under "Phrases Never Before Uttered In Human History," like "Dave needs more vermicelli for the detail work..." (long story short: "pasta Madonna," Nunsense 2, Forestburgh Playhouse c.1996).

But realistically, I suppose yours isn't actually unique, or even close -- though, if one were to discount all purely pro forma rhetorical instances and instead count only strictly spontaneous and genuine ones (i.e., spoken/written by people who were honestly enthused by the prospect of a visit from That Person, and not saying so under any kind of obligation), it might qualify as rare.

Gordonb

Where is that tongue-in-cheek avatar when you need it?

I'm sure though that HM will be dutifully respectful to him, or at least to the Office of the President, even if some of our politicians seem unable to distinguish between the person and the Office. 

DiveMilw

Quote from: Gordonb on Jul 10, 2018, 11:44 AMSo 2 weeks today we'll be leaving this house and moving into our little apartment for a short time before we make the permanent move to Turkey! I moved into this house in July 1981 (actually on the day that Charles and Diana got married) so after 36 years it probably is not a bad thing.
I thought you were keeping an apartment in London but living in Turkey the majority of the year.  So you will no longer have any place in England?  Such an exciting move!
I no longer long for the old view!

Gordonb

We're keeping the apartment in London both as a bolt-hole in case it all goes horribly wrong, but primarily as an investment/rental income. We are moving permanently to Turkey in due course.

By the way Mr Trump's visit was a blast, just ask the Queen!