7 June 2023

Started by KathyB, Jun 07, 2023, 05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyB

I wasn't planning to post anything today, but Jeopardy! tonight made me really happy with its categories.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Into the Woods, Company, Follies, A Little Night Music, Passion and Merrily We Roll Along

GO, NUGGETS!

scenicdesign71

Quote from: KathyB on Jun 07, 2023, 05:04 PMI wasn't planning to post anything today, but Jeopardy! tonight made me really happy with its categories.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Into the Woods, Company, Follies, A Little Night Music, Passion and Merrily We Roll Along

GO, NUGGETS!

I never watch game shows, but for that I would have made an exception!  :)

The other day a friend sent me this photo he saw on Twitter, where it had gone viral -- it's impossibly perfect, but I saw this billboard in the flesh just a week or two ago, down by the Port Authority bus terminal, so I can vouch that it's not Photoshopped.  (It's actually an enormous video billboard -- the Diablo IV image alternates with other ads -- hence the image's blazing redness really does cut this sharply through, and remain unaffected by, the ambient sickly-orange daylight):

You cannot view this attachment.

Up here in the Heights, I stepped outside briefly around 2pm Wednesday, wearing an N95 mask, and the sky looked exactly like this, with the same eerie sci-fi hue and quality to the light: vivid burnt ochre, unnaturally dim for midday, and so weirdly diffuse that it was impossible to guess where in the sky the sun was located.  (One might assume that the readiest comparison would be an orange sunset, which would be unnerving enough for midafternoon in June; but the color here was indescribably "off", and the completely omnidirectional quality made it feel utterly unlike any sunset -- or any other normal atmospheric phenomenon -- I've ever experienced).  Even the inside of my apartment was bathed in this bizarre acid glow: we have lots of windows, and even with only "an inch of [direct] sky," and all the windows and blinds closed, the intense ambient glow from outdoors made it feel like living inside Close Encounters or something.

By the time I ventured out again yesterday (Thursday) afternoon, the orangey hue was gone and the sun was visible again; skies have since cleared to the point where today's (Friday's) air quality is listed as "Good", with an AQI of 45 -- as compared to over 400 earlier this week.

Strange days...