28-OCT-19 Movie Monday

Started by DiveMilw, Oct 28, 2019, 08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiveMilw

I'm off to see "The Joker" in a theater with recliner chairs.  Hope I don't doze off.   :))

Based on the seat map I am, so far, the only person seeing the 12:15 showing today.
I no longer long for the old view!

DiveMilw

I can see why people like "Joker" but it wasn't for me.  I thought it moved too slowly.  I was frequently bored. Frankly, I think it could easily have been 30 minutes shorter and not suffered.  

And I'm really quite pissed off that 
Spoiler: ShowHide
1.  He doesn't actually shoot Batman's parents.  And the way they gave that job to someone we never saw before and had no ties to Joker was lazy, lazy, lazy. (unless the comic book did something like this as well. if that is the case they have an out but I still really, really dislike it)
2.  The entire movie might have been a delusion.  I felt like perhaps the end scene should have been Joker surrounded by his friends telling him to blow out the candles on his birthday cake.
3.  They shouldn't have used "Send in the Clown" during the end credits.  It was sort of appropriate during the movie but it felt forced to use it there.

I had a few other quibbles but they may be due to my unfamiliarity with the source material.  I guess I'm glad I saw it.  It had some good moments.  And I got to try out the "new" (it's been there for a while but I haven't gone yet) movie theater with the reclining seats and wait staff who bring you food and drink to your seat.

KathyB

Speaking of being pissed off, I'm still waiting on the photographs from my client for their project that's due on Thursday. O:-) O:-) O:-) O:-) O:-)

We had a lot of snow, so the roads were in bad shape this morning, but also a lot of melting, which meant they were in pretty good shape this afternoon. It's supposed to snow more tomorrow through Wednesday.

I'm dreaming of a white Halloween... >:D

scenicdesign71

And were you in fact the only person in the theater?  In combination with the recliners and the waitstaff (and the weekday matinĂ©e, though I guess that would also be the unimaginative explanation for having the place to yourself), that sounds divinely decadent.

'Course, it would help if the film itself hadn't turned out to be disappointing.  (I'm assuming you didn't sleep through "the good part" -- if there was one; I haven't seen Joker yet myself).

DiveMilw

I wasn't alone in the theater.....and not in a good way like with ghosts.   ;D
There was a party of four in front of me and at least one person (what sounded like) directly behind me. The aisles are extremely wide to allow for the recliner to recline and the wait staff to walk through so in a normal theater they would have been at least one row away. It was a little distracting having the wait staff bring people things.  They were pretty quiet but their movement drew my eye away from the screen.  I wouldn't want to see a movie there when it is packed and people are hungry.  They have a full menu & bar so you can order an entire dinner and eat it during the movie.  

I got an Arnold Palmer to drink so I didn't nap.

Chris L

I feel uncomfortable at theaters where they deliver food to your seat during the film. On the one hand, it's wonderfully decadent. On the other, it disrupts the film for the people around you. Of course, they're free to do the same thing, but it feels a lot worse than pulling out your cellphone and checking the Internet (which I'm pretty sure still isn't allowed).

To be fair, the waitstaff is usually very quiet and they do a great job of keeping their heads down.
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

DiveMilw

Quote from: Chris L on Oct 29, 2019, 12:38 PMI feel uncomfortable at theaters where they deliver food to your seat during the film. On the one hand, it's wonderfully decadent. On the other, it disrupts the film for the people around you. Of course, they're free to do the same thing, but it feels a lot worse than pulling out your cellphone and checking the Internet (which I'm pretty sure still isn't allowed).

To be fair, the waitstaff is usually very quiet and they do a great job of keeping their heads down.
Yes on all points.   I wasn't sure if I'd want to see a movie in that type of atmosphere.  Had the theater been booked more I might not have gone.  I'm glad I tried it with only a few people in the theater with me.  I think the server only came in two or three times but I noticed them each time even though they were trying to be discrete.  Not sure I'd go again.  Also, the popcorn was too salty and they don't use real butter even though the menu says "Popcorn - Butter" and not "Popcorn - Butter Flavor".  I thought it would better popcorn than what is found in a regular theater but it was the same stuff.  It's just brought to your seat by a server.  

My standard for popcorn was set by the Oriental Theater in Milwaukee.  They used real butter and had brewers yeast to sprinkle on it.  YUM!!