27 August 2021 finally Friday

Started by KathyB, Aug 27, 2021, 04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyB

It feels like it took longer than normal for it to get to Friday, and it's probably due to the hot weather, which makes me grumpy, impatient and tired. We went on a walk around the block at about 4 pm, and I was exhausted at the end of it.  My back hurt, my feet hurt and I just wanted to get somewhere cooler than 93°. I took some ibuprofen, and I'm feeling much better. Part of the problem was that there were very few trees on that route, so it was all in the intense sunshine.

I am looking forward to a weekend of doing NOTHING.

scenicdesign71

Quote from: KathyB on Aug 27, 2021, 04:53 PMPart of the problem was that there were very few trees on that route, so it was all in the intense sunshine.

Lately I've been really struck by how much difference shade makes.  Over the past few weeks it has regularly been reaching the mid-90s here -- and, even when it doesn't actually make it up that high, mid-80s ends up feeling at least ten degrees hotter due to the oppressive humidity.  Seemingly within seconds of stepping into direct sunlight, I can practically feel myself burning.  But as long as I stay in the shade -- and given, I should add, at least a slight breeze, which has fortunately been common lately, and which may be key to the whole effect -- with some imaginative effort (and as little physical exertion as humanly possible, so: standing stock-still in the shade, with a breeze, concentrating on pleasant thoughts), I could almost think of the heat as balmy.

Another disclaimer: I haven't been spending uninterrupted hours-upon-hours outside in this heat.  I've been back to work on Kanan S2 for the past few weeks, but almost all of my time so far has thankfully been indoors in a heavily (sometimes excessively) air-conditioned studio.  So, apart from outdoor smoke-breaks at work, and puttering around my neighborhood on occasional brief errands after work or on weekends, my experience of the heat has been limited to a couple of afternoons working on-location, involving some time outdoors but not in direct sunlight.

Okay, that was an awful lot of qualification.  It's been fuckin' hot, y'all.  I'm with Tom: today's high of 76° is NICE.