14 September 2019 Saturday

Started by KathyB, Sep 14, 2019, 04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyB

I got to visit the two black cats today. One of them is very vocal. He wants people to pay attention to him, and he meows when they don't. The other one is a petite (6 pounds) sweetheart who has skin allergies.

I had a delicious and very filling hamburger for lunch, which is also going to serve as dinner because I don't feel like eating anything else. My big task for today was the laundry. I have one load finishing in the dryer and then I'm done with it.

Tomorrow I'm seeing Indecent at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts. Today I'm just being lazy.

scenicdesign71

Oooh, do give us your review of the DCPA Indecent -- it may be my favorite play of recent years (not including musicals, though it features quite a bit of music, and more dancing than many of my favorite musicals).  I managed to see it fairly far into its Broadway run, and later on PBS, and I've been meaning to stream it again but haven't yet.

KathyB

I've been trying for a day to think of what to say about Indecent other than "It was very, very good--go see it." I'm trying to think of what I found good about it, and there wasn't one particular thing that stood out--it was a well-written show with a great ensemble and good direction that adapted the play very well to the in-the-round Space Theatre. (I also saw the PBS production, and I thought the show worked better in the round with its more-intimate space.)

I realize that's a lame "review," and now I know why I'm not a professional critic. :)

scenicdesign71

Nah, that pretty well summarizes why I never tried to review the B'way production at the time; it would've mostly been "great, all around!  Too beautifully knitted-together to pick back apart."  And while the Cort staging was beautiful, I can absolutely imagine the play working gorgeously in the round.