The Six Degrees of Sondheim

Started by Chris L, Jul 20, 2017, 12:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Chris L

Elvis Presley was in the movie The Trouble With Girls, with Vincent Price.
Vincent Price was in Edward Scissorhands, which was directed by Tim Burton.
Burton directed the film version of Sweeney Todd.

Robert Redford
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Bobster

Robert Redford was in The Great Gatsby with Karen Black (thought I was going to use Barbra, didn't ya?).
Karen Black was Philia out of town in A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum until she was fired.




Kim Novak


Leighton

Jul 21, 2017, 03:06 am #17 Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 03:09 am by Leighton
Kim Novak was in The Mirror Crack'd with Angela Lansbury
Angela Lansbury was in Sweeney Todd

Mabel Normand
Self indulgence is better than no indulgence!

Vera Charles

Mabel Normand was played by Janie Dee in the 2006 production of Mack and Mabel.
Janie Dee is playing Phyllis in the National Theatre's production of Follies.


Boris Johnson

KathyB

Quote from: Leighton on Jul 20, 2017, 03:02 pmChuck Schumer is in the Senate with Al Franken
Al Franken worked with Eddie Murphy in Trading Places
Eddie Murphy worked with Anika Noni Rose in Dreamgirls
Anika Noni Rose worked with Tonya Pinkins in Caroline, or Change
Tonya Pinkins worked with Anna Francolini in the London production of Caroline, or Change
Anna Francolini was in Company at the Donmar

(That's fairly convoluted!)

You could knock two steps off of this: Tonya Pinkins was in the original cast of Merrily We Roll Along. :) :-*



Latest person is Boris Johnson

KathyB

This could probably be shortened a few steps, but here goes:

Boris Johnson was mayor of London during the 2012 Olympics...
...Whose opening ceremony was directed by Danny Boyle
...Who directed Trainspotting with Jonny Lee Miller
...Who was also in Melinda and Melinda, directed by Woody Allen
...Who directed Elaine Stritch in September
...who has too many Sondheim connections to name. :)

Vera Charles

Quote from: KathyB on Jul 21, 2017, 10:44 amThis could probably be shortened a few steps, but here goes:

Boris Johnson was mayor of London during the 2012 Olympics...
...Whose opening ceremony was directed by Danny Boyle
...Who directed Trainspotting with Jonny Lee Miller
...Who was also in Melinda and Melinda, directed by Woody Allen
...Who directed Elaine Stritch in September
...who has too many Sondheim connections to name. :)

This is brilliant, Kathy! My thoughts had gone down the more banal route of a play about Boris Johnson that was produced at the Trafalgar Studios.

KathyB


Vera Charles

Miley Cyrus played Hannah Montana
Montana Chem is a song in Saturday Night.

(Does this count if the link is not actually a person?)

Chris L

Quote from: Vera Charles on Jul 21, 2017, 11:36 amMiley Cyrus played Hannah Montana
Montana Chem is a song in Saturday Night.

(Does this count if the link is not actually a person?)

Hmm, that's stretching it a bit. How about this?

Miley Cyrus starred in the show Hannah Montana.
Hannah Montana ran on the Disney Channel.
Disney produced the movie version of Into the Woods.
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Chris L

Mairi played first, though, so I'll let her pick the next name.
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Vera Charles

Quote from: Chris L on Jul 21, 2017, 11:49 amMairi played first, though, so I'll let her pick the next name.
Thanks, Chris. (I did think about the Disney link, but liked the brevity of Montana Chem!)

Florence Foster Jenkins

Chris L

I'm tempted to go the obvious route through Meryl Streep (who played her on film), but we've already used Streep. How about this?

Cole Porter was a dedicated, if amused, fan of Jenkins' work.
Cole Porter loved Sondheim's choice of rhyming "egos" with "amigos."

Dwight D. Eisenhower
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Leighton

Quote from: KathyB on Jul 21, 2017, 10:00 am
Quote from: Leighton on Jul 20, 2017, 03:02 pmChuck Schumer is in the Senate with Al Franken
Al Franken worked with Eddie Murphy in Trading Places
Eddie Murphy worked with Anika Noni Rose in Dreamgirls
Anika Noni Rose worked with Tonya Pinkins in Caroline, or Change
Tonya Pinkins worked with Anna Francolini in the London production of Caroline, or Change
Anna Francolini was in Company at the Donmar

(That's fairly convoluted!)

You could knock two steps off of this: Tonya Pinkins was in the original cast of Merrily We Roll Along. :) :-*



Latest person is Boris Johnson

Oh yes!  Also, Anika Noni Rose worked with Christine Baranski in The Good Wife, and Baranski was in Sweeney Todd. 

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Self indulgence is better than no indulgence!

Leighton

Dwight D Eisenhower was succeeded as President by JFK
JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald
Lee Harvey Oswald is a character in Assassins

Salvador Dali
Self indulgence is better than no indulgence!