07-JAN-20 Mini-Meal Prep

Started by DiveMilw, Jan 07, 2020, 09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiveMilw

I bought a spiral sliced ham a couple of weeks before Christmas and it is heating up in the oven.  I intended to make it a week ago but I only remembered it when I was out driving around.  As  soon as I pulled into the driveway all thought of it left my mind.  Since it was stored on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator in the very back I never saw it when I opened the fridge. 

I think I'm going to also make this Eggplant and Caper Pasta Sauce to go along with it or for eating later in the week.  I may also make Eggplants in a North-South Sauce.  I bought a regular eggplant and a Japanese eggplant yesterday and I want to make sure they don't rot in the veggie drawer.  I do not have asafetida but a quick google search tells me I can substitute garlic and onion.  Or I might head to Cosmos, my neighborhood Indian grocery store, and see if they have it.
I no longer long for the old view!

DiveMilw

Not only did Cosmos have asafetida, they had three different brands in multiple sizes.  I learned that it comes in white or yellow color.  The yellow has ground turmeric added.  I purchased a small jar of the white for under $2.00.  I'll make the Eggplant in a North-South Sauce tomorrow.

The ham turned out well.  While it was in the oven I remembered that I bought an apple pie before Thanksgiving which needed to be taken out of the freezer and baked.  I also made the pasta sauce.  It is good.  I can't taste the capers.  You could add any veggies you'd like.  This is really just a way to jazz up a jarred pasta sauce.  I'm glad to get some more fiber in the sauce and it is more filling with the eggplant.
I no longer long for the old view!