July 23, 2017 - Sondheim on Sondheim

Started by Chris L, Jul 23, 2017, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris L

@AmyG and I have tickets to see Sondheim on Sondheim at the Hollywood Bowl this evening. We're catching the shuttle over at 5:30 and will have plenty of time before the show begins, so we're packing our own dinner and will have a leisurely meal while waiting. The Bowl should be an ideal venue for SoS, because there are huge screens to both sides of the stage, and since the show has a lot of video footage in it, those parts should be accessible even from seats so far away that the performers on stage look like ants. (The Bowl is a vast arena that looks like it occupies much of a county. It could be the crater left behind from a long-ago asteroid collision.)

We've seen SoS before, in a small venue, and I remember very little about it, so this should jog my memory. It'll be kind of a picnic with Sondheim, especially for those people who get the expensive seats down front that come with a table and meals served to the occupants. (We're not sitting in those.) It'll be nice not to have to drive there, which can be a panic in LA traffic, so it's nice of them to offer shuttle service. Hopefully the weather stays as beautiful as it's been, though I'm taking a jacket just in case. The Bowl is large enough to have its own climate.
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

AmyG

We're here. I don't see any intellectual property so I think we're okay.

You cannot view this attachment.

Chris L

Sondheim on Sondheim was excellent, with the cast accompanied by the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Gustavo Dudamel conducting, for a full orchestral score. The cast, in alphabetic order, was: Sarah Uriarte Berry, Phillip Boykin, Lewis Cleale, Carmen Cusack, Claybourne Elder, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Jonathan Groff, Ruthie Ann Miles, Solea Pfeiffer and Vanessa Williams. The singing and orchestration were perfect, but thank God for those huge TV screens.
But us, old friend,

AmyG

Yes it was excellent. "Sunday" sounded magnificent with the relatively large group (the show usually only has four) and a full orchestra. I nice relaxing evening, thanks to the shuttle - cheaper, more convenient, and possibly faster than driving. 

I made a little picnic for us which we ate at our seats. We didn't get there quite early enough to grab a picnic table outside, though there are plenty. We had seared ahi tuna sandwiches with cucumbers and wasabi mayo, seaweed edamame salad, and berries and cream for dessert. 

Chris L

I really enjoyed eating the picnic at our seats. No worrying about getting up the endless walkway after we ate. And the meal you made was great. I especially liked saving the dessert until the show was beginning. ;)
But us, old friend,

Chris L

And would someone start today's Daily so that I don't have to? ;)
But us, old friend,

AmyG

This is an admin only thread, it was seem ;)

Chris L

Quote from: AmyG on Jul 24, 2017, 03:14 PMThis is an admin only thread, it was seem ;)
Sunday's are very lonely around this forum. ;)
But us, old friend,

DiveMilw

Quote from: Chris L on Jul 24, 2017, 03:25 PM
Quote from: AmyG on Jul 24, 2017, 03:14 PMThis is an admin only thread, it was seem ;)
Sunday's are very lonely around this forum. ;)
It's the day off.
I no longer long for the old view!