21 April 2020 grilled pork noodle bowl Tuesday

Started by KathyB, Apr 21, 2020, 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyB

The Asian market across the street has Vietnamese takeout in their refrigerated section, and usually I get the spring rolls, but today they had grilled pork and noodles, so I grabbed it. That's the something positive for today.

Yum.

DiveMilw

Yuumy!   I got pizza for lunch today (and probably dinner as well).  My town's Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring a contest.  Spend at least $15 at two different local restaurants for a chance to win a restaurant $25 gift certificate.  We got Chinese food for lunch yesterday so I can take a photo of the receipts and send them in for an entry to this week's drawing.
I no longer long for the old view!

scenicdesign71

Wow, that all sounds super tasty! 

Food is the topic of the day: my group text from work, which has been quiet in recent days, blew up this afternoon with recipes and food photos and the suggestion of a formal-attire (!) Zoom dinner sometime.  (How many scenics does it take to figure out a necktie, I wonder?)

I've been ordering from Seamless more often lately than is probably very healthy, in any sense: dietary, epidemiological, or, not least of all, fiscal.  Last night I had some deeply satisfying shepherd's pie -- happily without any actual shepherd on top -- delivered from a somewhat yuppified (but damn yummy, and very pleasant indeed, the few times I've been there in person) local Irish pub.  Like all other restaurants here -- well, those that haven't folded entirely -- they've temporarily converted themselves into a takeout-and-delivery-only kitchen for the time being.  But I'm glad they're surviving the crunch so far, and am making a mental note to visit them more often if they make it all the way through this ordeal; they're only eight blocks from me, they serve delicious comfort food and generous pints, and I've never had anything less than an enjoyable time there.

scenicdesign71

MORE (unprompted by me, I swear) food news:  my friend Dan tried a new pot roast recipe in his crockpot -- and sent me absolutely mouthwatering pics of the results -- with roasted carrots & broccoli, and garlic mashed potatoes made extra creamy by the addition of a little cheese and sour cream.  (Though by no means a gourmet foodie, Dan has a natural flair for cooking, and he's dangerously good at whipping up all kinds of rich and savory down-home goodness on the spur of the moment without much visible effort).

And my other friend Kis tried her hand at making fried chicken for the first time ever tonight, with apparently successful results.  (I haven't yet seen photographic evidence, but I did hear her boyfriend voice his approval, in the background, on FaceTime a short while ago).  Brining was involved.

I feel like I'm putting on my Quarantine Fifteen as much through osmosis, hearing about other people's culinary adventures, as anything else.  (Staying in bed all day, rarely moving a muscle except to order shepherd's pie on Seamless, has absolutely nothing to do with it, obviously).