Hollywood (Netflix)

Started by scenicdesign71, May 05, 2020, 08:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scenicdesign71

May 05, 2020, 08:30 pm Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 07:28 am by scenicdesign71
Anyone else watch this?  I just binged it today and was entertained despite the usual Ryan Murphy "WTF is he doing?" too-much-ness -- which is present here but relatively under control, at least by his own often-demented standards.  Revisionist "alternative history" narratives have been in vogue lately, but I can't think of one as determinedly sunny as this -- which, in our current real-life dystopia, makes it an enjoyable confection even if, in the end, what we're being asked to swallow is largely empty calories.

DiveMilw

I started watching a couple of weeks ago.  I watched an episode at work Friday night and thought it was #3 but really it was only #2.  A LOT happened in the pilot.  I'm liking it so far but, being a Ryan Murphy creation, I assume there will be much over the top stuff and then it will fizzle out if it continues for a number of seasons.  The first season is usually very good and then the shows get really wild and then tepid. 

American Horror Story may be an exception to that.  I couldn't get past the first season.  I thought it tried too hard to be shocking and just couldn't take it.  I even tried a different season but didn't care enough about it to finish.  Many of my friends really liked the show but it never caught me for some reason.
I no longer long for the old view!