07-OCT-20 25 Days To Go....

Started by DiveMilw, Oct 07, 2020, 07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiveMilw

There are only 25 days until Gordon Y's favorite day of the year......1/2 Price Halloween Candy Day!!!  I have a feeling there will be a LOT of candy available after Halloween this year. (at least in the US)  Many places in the US aren't doing Trick or Treat due to the refusal of people to take basic precautions against spreading COVID.  So, I guess you could say a large portion of the population is willing to give out Tricks this year.   >:D >:D >:D
I no longer long for the old view!

KathyB

I prefer half price Easter candy day. That holiday has a larger proportion of The Good Stuff on sale (at least here).

scenicdesign71

I was at work in the Bronx yesterday when this happened, and it's already long since been posted on the FB group, but it clearly needs to be on this board somewhere, so here it is:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/07/theater/surprise-theater-times-square.html

IF I were being cranky, I'd point out that the inspirational-easy-listening arrangement fails to account for a good chunk of the harmonic structure on which "Sunday"'s extraordinary beauty and effectiveness (even outside its dramatic context) rest: some crucial modulations -- and with them, some of the song's essential "Sunday"-ness -- have simply gone missing.  I don't have the music theory to explain it, but, at a guess, I'd say it sounds kind of as though all dissonance, and maybe even anything minor-keyed, had been categorically expunged from this arrangement... with predictably bland results: Sondheim on Valium?

BUT I'm truly not that cranky: the spirit of the occasion is impervious to such nitpicks, the voices are sublime, and I really do wish I'd been there to witness this live.

DiveMilw

Did they mic everyone and then mix it live?  Bernadette is the only person holding a mic which leads me to believe the cast might be singing live, not mic'd, to a recording of them singing.  (with Bernadette the only person who everyone would hear 'live'). 

Amusing to me:  The side the camera was on seems to be the dancey side of the stage.   :D
I no longer long for the old view!