Wall To Wall Sondheim: 2020 edition

Started by scenicdesign71, Jan 31, 2020, 11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scenicdesign71

Fifteen years later, it's returning to Symphony Space in only slightly abbreviated form (eight hours instead of twelve), May 16 from 3-11pm:

https://www.symphonyspace.org/events/wall-to-wall-sondheim

The first time around, back in 2005, the Master's internet-fueled renaissance seemed like a relatively new phenomenon, and Sondheads an obscure fan cult just beginning to emerge into the glare of the 21st-century mainstream.  Back then, I arrived at Symphony Space just an hour or two before the 11am start time, and got a pretty decent seat (which I then clung to for the entire twelve hours, in flat defiance of the management's periodic pleas to rotate out and allow others in).  And even then, the concert shattered all previous attendance records at Symphony Space handily enough to be remarked-on even as it was happening (no need for actual figures to confirm what was anecdotally more-than-obvious: apparently, there was simply no comparison).

Now that He's a global institution, I'll be pleasantly surprised if W2W 2020 isn't harder to get into (overnight sidewalk camp-out, anyone?) and/or more tightly-regulated once you're there (timed tickets, perhaps?).  On their "Membership" page, for contributions of $1000 and up, Symphony Space will offer you two reserved (no need to wait in line) orchestra seats for "one segment of" Wall To Wall.

Anyway, I marked the date on my calendar and will try to remember to keep checking back for any new info over the next few months.

KathyB

OooooOoOOOOOoooh...
I need some nice person who's not going in person to record this for me (assuming it will be broadcast like it was last time).

I have all 12 hours of the last Wall-to-Wall Sondheim.