August 10, 2017 - TGIF Eve

Started by Chris L, Aug 10, 2017, 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris L

We had two Dailys yesterday, but none yet today, so I thought I'd pitch in and start it. Maybe we should have a Daily Question that people can answer.

Today's question: What was your favorite musical theater experience of all time? This doesn't have to be your favorite show, just the most entertaining night you spent watching a musical.

Mine is Promises, Promises, not because it's the greatest show ever written (though it has a highly listenable score) but because I had the good fortune to catch the original production, with Jerry Orbach in the lead and Michael Bennett's choreography. Although I'd been a theater geek for nearly a decade by then, having started out quite young, it was a show that kept my interest in theater alive until Sondheim came along. I wanted to play the Orbach role so badly, but alas I had no dancing talent whatsoever and never tried out for a local production, though I did do a couple of Neil Simon plays in community theater.

Second favorite would be Sweeney Todd, which is a much better show, but for some reason I wasn't impressed when I saw the original touring company. (I think it was the bad acoustics in the Kennedy Center's balcony that prevented me from fully following what was going on.) I only learned to love it later, through the video  and the  2012 Kennedy Center production with Brian Stokes-Mitchell and Christine Baranski. By then the Kennedy Center had headphones for those of us in the balcony and I followed every word.
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

KathyB

I think my favorite may have been when two friends and I went to see Big River at the Boulder Dinner Theatre. We had a friend in the cast. At BDT, the cast doubles as servers. There was a seating mixup and we weren't able to get our originally reserved seats, but we ended up sitting in the section that our friend was serving. It was a great experience sitting in her section and we ended up leaving something like an 80% tip. :)

Seeing Do I Hear a Waltz? with Connie was right up there also. As was the first production of A Little Night Music that I saw, which was an extremely intimate production with two musicians and the audience surrounding the cast on three sides.

Leighton

Caroline, or Change, and August: Osage County (both at the National) have to be fairly high on my list. 
Self indulgence is better than no indulgence!

AmyG

The original tour of Sweeney Todd at Dorothy Chandler has to be at the very top. 

Though nothing beats seeing a new musical in previews on Broadway before it has been reviewed. I saw City of Angels, Nine and Wild Party that way and they were all extremely memorable. As my brother and I always used to whisper to each other with childlike wonder when the orchestra would start to play the overture, "Oh boy, a new musical!!!!"

Also, seeing a show out of town, pre-Broadway can be pretty exciting too. That may be one of the reasons Promises, Promises is so memorable for Chris. 

valmont

An impossible question!  I can name some standouts but I don't think I can pick just one.

Fun Home at the Public
War Paint at the Goodman
The Wild Party by Bailiwick in Chicago
Pacific Overtures at the Kennedy Center
I was born to ask "why was I born?"

Gordonb

Oh right @Chris L why not make life more difficult?

Decisions and choices ... but I think it has to be the National's 1995 "Night Music"; sublime casting Judi Dench, Patricia Hodge, Joanna Riding, Siân Phillips, Issy van Randwyck and some men too. Stunning production in every respect.

On the other hand "Les Mis" at the Barbican in 1985 with Donna's pal Patti Lupone during the first week before it became "big" was pretty amazing but then so too was the original "Cats" in the early 1980s.

I think though that "Night Music" wins ... although I might change my mind. 

Gordonb

Quote from: Gordonb on Aug 11, 2017, 05:20 AMOh right @Chris L why not make life more difficult?

Decisions and choices ... but I think it has to be the National's 1995 "Night Music"; sublime casting Judi Dench, Patricia Hodge, Joanna Riding, Siân Phillips, Issy van Randwyck and some men too. Stunning production in every respect.

On the other hand "Les Mis" at the Barbican in 1985 with Donna's pal Patti Lupone during the first week before it became "big" was pretty amazing but then so too was the original "Cats" in the early 1980s.

I think though that "Night Music" wins ... although I might change my mind.
We watched a BBC "Prom" Concert production of "Oklahoma" on the TV at the weekend and my mind wandered to another of those "special" nights at the theatre .... picture the scene, summer of 1998, opening night at the Olivier at the National, an excited first night audience, Trevor Nunn direction, Susan Stroman choreography; Maureen Lipman alone on the vast Olivier stage (was she churning butter?) ... then the beautiful strains of "Oh, what a beautiful mornin'" and on strides this magnificent young Australian actor, pretty much unknown in the UK ... Hugh Jackman...oh, and another unknown played Jud Fry, one Shuler Hensley, (who I believe won an "Olivier" for his horribly nasty performance).

Even though I am not  huge fan of "Oklahoma" that WAS a special night, and one that lingers long in the memory.

Bobster

There are too many, I can't can't can't.   :)