13-Aug-17 What A Weekend

Started by DiveMilw, Aug 12, 2017, 09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiveMilw

Mostly I'm starting this so we have a daily today. But it can also be a place to comment on the events that happened in the USA this weekend because this weekend has been something else.....  ???
I no longer long for the old view!

MartinG

Angela keeps asking in anguished tone "Why can't they just impeach him?". Not so simple, I say. As with Brexit, once you start questioning the wisdom of 'popular' opinion you risk undermining the fundamental principle of the democratic process. It's easy to trot out Churchill's alleged quote "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.", from a comfortable liberal Western vantage point, but once you start telling the huddled masses you know what's best for them whatever they voted, tempting though it may be, you'll soon hear the tumbrils coming over the hill.

However, politics has always been assiduously avoided on the old board, so it's probably unwise here too.

Delicious beef casserole for dinner. Too full for ice cream just yet. 
Morals tomorrow

mrssondheim

I am off FB, for now, due to all the politics. My gentle soul can't handle them unless they are in play form. 

We could have a political catigory or thread, but it would be nice to have it at a minimum here. 

Sorry. 
A blank page or canvas. My favorite.

MartinG

Morals tomorrow

Chris L

Quote from: mamarose on Aug 13, 2017, 09:54 AMWe could have a political catigory or thread, but it would be nice to have it at a minimum here.

Sorry.
We're trying to hold that down, having seen the kind of flame wars that can break out in comment threads. Honestly, I think we have an intelligent enough membership to handle the topic sensitively, but it's also nice to have a place to get away from it, so you're safe here.
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

mrssondheim

Quote from: Chris L on Aug 13, 2017, 01:19 PM
Quote from: mamarose on Aug 13, 2017, 09:54 AMWe could have a political catigory or thread, but it would be nice to have it at a minimum here.

Sorry.
We're trying to hold that down, having seen the kind of flame wars that can break out in comment threads. Honestly, I think we have an intelligent enough membership to handle the topic sensitively, but it's also nice to have a place to get away from it, so you're safe here.
Thank you. 😘
A blank page or canvas. My favorite.