2 June 2021 Wednesday that feels like Monday

Started by KathyB, Jun 02, 2021, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyB

Today is one of those never-ending days. I'm sure the reason I feel so messed up this week is because of the holiday, which delayed trash pick-up, so everything feels at least one day off--except to day feels two days off.

I don't think Bernadette likes going in the crate. She's OK until I leave the room, and then she starts clawing at it and whining like crazy. I can only hope she stops when I leave completely. I know she has been crate-trained in the past, but I'm not sure how to get her to accept that it's home and it's a safe place to be. :(

DiveMilw

I have no idea how to train dogs but I'm going give a suggestion anyway.... ::) :-X ::)
Would giving her lots of praise and a treat (or two) when you let her out help?  And maybe do some "training" by putting her in the crate, leaving the room for a few minutes, and then lots of attention and treats?
I no longer long for the old view!

KathyB

I think giving her lots of praise and a treat or two for going in the crate might help, because I want to reward her for staying in, not for coming out (which is what she wants). I've been trying to wait for the tiniest break in the crying to let her out, so she doesn't think she's being rewarded for crying.

I think the part about putting her in the crate, leaving for a few minutes, and then giving her attention (when she's silent) is a good one.

DiveMilw

She is such a cutie!!!

That totally makes sense about giving treats when going in the crate vs when being let out. I was thinking like a human and rewarding her for being a good girl and staying in the crate. I haven't perfected thinking like a dog.   :D
I no longer long for the old view!

scenicdesign71