Meryl Streep

Started by scenicdesign71, Jul 14, 2022, 05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scenicdesign71

...because she might as well have her own thread, no?

And it might as well begin with this NYT interactive feature:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/07/14/arts/meryl-streep-acting.html

I could be misremembering, but I don't think her Witch ever sported any specs in Into The Woods.  After reading this feature, I can't help wondering whether a nice antique-y pair -- something grannyish yet otherworldly, maybe pince-nez, probably on a chain? or else some fabulous lorgnette situation? -- might, with all its attendant glasses-schmacting potential, have perceptibly improved the film.

In Take Me To The World's "Ladies Who Lunch" trio, she is bespectacled (along with Audra), but too busy casually flogging her barware into abject submission to fuss overmuch about eyewear -- unless you count her droll double-take on "one for Mahler", which, even through moderate reader-strength lenses, could probably incinerate ants ...in a neighboring galaxy.

scenicdesign71

This is seven years old, but I hadn't seen it until someone posted it on Facebook recently:

The tongue-in-cheek complaints about the "movie", and about Applegate's "performance" therein (i.e., pointless and half-baked, respectively), could just as easily describe the sketch itself.  Still, having started this thread for no particular reason, I figured it might as well go here.

Oh, and while I'm at it...  I already posted this on the Only Murders thread, but it obviously pertains here too:

Meryl Streep Joins 'Only Murders in the Building' Season 3 Cast