Shows That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Started by scenicdesign71, Aug 07, 2022, 09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scenicdesign71

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/07/theater/diana-musical-defense.html

While I still think Diana: The Musical is garbage, I enjoyed this good-humored and beautifully-written apologia in today's NYT.

scenicdesign71

In case anyone's interested: a few weeks ago someone texted me this slime tutorial about "a girl who falls in love and becomes an actor," led until recently here in NYC by a woman whose almost-too-perfect affinity for the material was finally rewarded, and duly applauded, last year after more than a decade of being sidelined for reasons about which I could never seem to work up any real curiosity.

But then, Funny Girl itself has always left me cold.  Even before this year's strike-related work stoppage, back when money wasn't so tight, I still couldn't bring myself to spend any on seeing this revival in person (it closed here last month, not long after recouping its investment, and is now out on tour with no one I've heard of).  Still, "free, in my PJs, and desperate for entertainment" fit the bill after my friend sent me the link last week – and, for what it's worth, watching this very-good capture did inspire my first-ever mild glimmer of appreciation for the story, and particularly for its two leads, who capably carry an otherwise only-okay production.  (In fairness to the creative team, even with stars as ideal as Michele and Karimloo -- plus Feldshue, indispensable as Rosie -- and book refurbishment by Harvey Fierstein, I'm still not sure there really is such a thing as a better-than-okay production of FG).

...Gee, still not sold?  ;D  This glossily pro-shot trailer might do the trick: