FUN HOME at TheaterWorks Hartford

Started by scenicdesign71, Sep 03, 2022, 02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scenicdesign71

DiveMilw

I'm hoping to be able to see this but I'm not sure I'll be in town when it is playing.  I've been looking forward to this production since before the pandemic.  
I no longer long for the old view!

DiveMilw

I no longer long for the old view!

scenicdesign71

A musical based on a graphic novel? Here's what need to know about the magic of 'Fun Home' at TheaterWorks.

Including one of set designer Luke Cantarella's digital renderings, this article from the Hartford Courant also features Cantarella and projection designer Camilla Tassi sharing their thoughts about this production.

KathyB

Fun Home at Vintage Theatre, Aurora, CO, 2024

(I don't want to start a new thread when there are already several devoted to Fun Home.)
I saw this production last night and thought it was amazing, fantastic (add several synonyms here). 
The theatre space is very small--about 100 audience members in three rows of seating, and the front row is basically up against the stage. I thought that maybe there wouldn't be amplification for the actors, but they did have microphones so they could be heard over the four-member orchestra, which turns out to be louder than one would expect because it's in such a small space.

The set at first consisted of a bunch of drop cloths covering all the furniture, which were pulled off to reveal Big Alison's working area, then sofa, chair, piano, bookcase and casket, all of which were painted to look like they came out of the graphic novel. Other props, such as bags, sketch pads and books, got the same treatment.

I'm not sure how the original production was directed, but this one had Big Alison on stage for the entire 90 minutes "directing" the action, which must be tiring for the actor. The performances were all excellent--it's difficult to pick out specific performers. Christian was cast as both the oldest Bechdel and a girl, which didn't affect the show at all.

(Stupid question alert! When someone says their pronouns are "she/they," when does one use "she" and when "they"? The director is "she/they" and the music director is "he/they.")

I would love to see this production again, but tickets are now hard to secure because of the tiny house size. They have extended the run an extra week.