29 September 2022 mildly annoyed Thursday

Started by KathyB, Sep 29, 2022, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyB

In reality, I'm quite a bit more than "mildly annoyed," but I didn't think that it was appropriate to put my degree of annoyance  in the thread title. I am supposed to be at the theatre right now for a show that starts in eight minutes. I went to the light rail station in plenty of time to get to the show. I ended up waiting 40 minutes, and during that time, three trains were supposed to come by, but zero trains actually showed up.  >:( When it got to the point that I wasn't going to make it on time, even if I got on a train immediately, I gave up and went home. So, I'm out $10.50 for the train fare and $69 for the theatre ticket. 

I e-mailed the theatre subscription services, to see if I could get a replacement ticket for next week, because I'd like to see the show, but they won't refund me the unused ticket. If I do get a ticket for next week, I may end up driving to the show and paying the ridiculous parking charge. Either that, or maybe I'll try leaving a couple hours early to see if I can catch a train.

scenicdesign71

I think Quite-Pissed-Off Thursday would be a perfectly appropriate title for this thread, but that's just me.  I'm sorry, Kathy, that sounds extremely irritating.   :(

If it's not too sore a subject, what was/is the show in question?

KathyB

The Chinese Lady at the Denver Center.

I just spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Subscriber Services; no tickets available for next week (so I'll miss the last talkback), but lots of availability for the closing performance, Sunday evening, October 16, which meant that I moved my Much Ado About Nothing tickets from Saturday the 15th to Saturday the 22nd, because I don't think my brain could reasonably process two shows in two days, especially when one of them is Shakespeare. Now I just hope that none of that conflicts with hockey tickets.

scenicdesign71

I love two-show weekends, though it's been awhile since I've done one.

When I was much younger I spent at least three London trips, between the mid-1980s and early aughts, seeing shows and nothing much else: filling literally every possible time slot with theatre (well, along with backstage tours of the NT and the RSC and Shakespeare's Globe, but I think those were all in the morning, so they didn't kill any potential showtimes).  MatinĂ©es there are staggered throughout the week, so never mind two-show weekends: practically every day can be a two-show day.  Figuring out a schedule that would fill every available slot with something I really wanted to see was a Sondheimian jigsaw puzzle.

But I'm not sure if I could manage that packed a theater itinerary anymore.  Those trips were thrilling, but, even at twenty-whatever, it got to be a bit wearing after a week or so.  (I think at least one of those trips might have actually lasted two weeks, so I was in blissful but exhausted theatre-overload by the end).

The Chinese Lady seems to be getting programmed quite widely around the country; I've heard of several other productions over the past few months.  I unfortunately missed it this past spring at the Public, but it looked very interesting.  I'm glad you will be able to see it after all, and look forward to reading your thoughts about it.