15 November 2022 New phone Tuesday

Started by KathyB, Nov 15, 2022, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyB

I got a new phone today. I had the old phone for five years, and loved it, but it became obsolete in September, when the new operating system came out. It took me a couple of months to decide which model would work best for me, and I was planning on just exploring options today, but I decided to get the phone, mainly because next week is going to be a zoo at the mall, and I didn't feel like dealing with that. In December, I'm getting two checks from an IRA, and I can pay for the phone then.

The new phone does not seem to work with my old version of iTunes, but that's OK for now. I've got way too much stuff in the cloud from when Apple used to have a download of the week (many years ago). Eventually, I'd like to put a bunch of cast albums on the phone, but I'll deal with that at a later date. First order of business is getting a case. And calling someone to make sure I can still do that.  :D

scenicdesign71

I updated my iPhone 11 to a 14 a few weeks ago and have been loving the bump in volume: I no longer have to put calls on speaker AND hold the phone to my ear (thus often accidentally disconnecting them or muting myself) in order to just-barely hear them!

Other than that, the old phone seemed to be working fine after three* years.  I suppose it's possible that its speakers were just dirty and a good cleaning might have rejuvenated them.  But the battery life was starting to diminish -- getting through a workday without recharging was becoming a rarity -- and I guess I just figured it was time.

*Ed.: I originally wrote "four years", and could have sworn it had been that long, but after looking it up: yes indeed, as their numbering would suggest, only three years actually elapsed between the release of the 11 and that of the 14, duh.  Now I feel sheepish about not having waited longer: four or five years is my more usual lifespan for phones.  But then again, the last three years have felt like four or five ...decades.