26-JAN-23 The Day Off

Started by DiveMilw, Jan 26, 2023, 12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiveMilw

I have been on vacation this week.  My friend, Dori, and I made our annual trek to Orlando to ride roller coasters.  Today, Thursday, is our "day off" from the theme parks.  We decided to build in a day where we could recover from all the walking and standing we have been doing since last weekend when we went to an art festival.  The walking at the art festival was difficult because it was slow walking which is harder on our bodies than if we were walking at a normal pace.  The same thing for the theme parks.  Normally, we'd have an express pass for Universal but we didn't get one this year.  The lines are not bad but we are doing more standing around than we usually do.  We are probably headed to the parks this afternoon in order to see the nighttime shows.  (we have a five day pass)  My feet have been very glad of the break because they developed blisters yesterday when we were at EPCOT.  I am blaming the shoes I was wearing because I haven't had any blister problems until yesterday and I have been doing a LOT of walking the pass two weeks.  
I no longer long for the old view!

KathyB

I just came back from a used book sale, and I got Fun Home for $2.50. I found four other books as well, but that's the one I consider the real steal. I thought about getting Chinese food on the way back, but ultimately decided against it. :(

Now I've got myself craving chicken and broccoli.

scenicdesign71

I got home from work an hour early today -- after a weird day yesterday where we started late, ended late, and then reported back early this morning for last-minute touchups on a location that shot at 7am.  This location, which we've used several times before in past seasons (as the subplot in which it appears keeps resurfacing), was actually the same Upper East Side townhouse exterior that was used in 1960 as Holly Golightly's brownstone apartment in Breakfast at Tiffany's -- available nowadays as a luxury-vacation rental called "the Hepburn".

Tom, I feel for you -- over the past year or so especially, my feet have often been unhappy with the amount of time I spend standing at work.  My Merrily cancellation-line odyssey the other weekend was tough mostly because I neglected to wear enough layers for standing out in freezing weather for twelve straight hours, but secondarily because I hadn't yet put gel insoles into my shoes (which are very comfy indeed for normal purposes, but not for 12hrs on concrete).  Given that long days working outside in the cold (albeit in work clothes and boots) aren't that rare for me, I was particularly annoyed with myself for these oversights.  Fortunately, that was a three-day weekend (MLK Day), so I was able to spend Sunday and Monday toasty-warm indoors, with my feet up.

Kathy -- Have you read Fun Home before (I'm assuming this is the original graphic novel, not the musical libretto)?  If not, you've got a treat in store!  Let us know what you think.  I'm always especially curious to hear people's reactions in cases like this: stories that have been translated into another medium, but different people encounter different versions first, and I always wonder how that affects the experience.

KathyB

Yes, this is the original graphic memoir. I've looked through it at Barnes and Noble, but haven't really read it. I know the score and the basic plot to the off-Broadway version of the musical. I started the book last night and am maybe 1/3 of the way through it., and I think it's pretty wonderful.