11 March 2024. Good news

Started by scenicdesign71, Mar 13, 2024, 01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scenicdesign71

[Ed.: Written Monday evening, not posted until the crack of dawn Wednesday]

Yesterday [that is, Sunday] marked exactly a year since my last day of union work:  Raising Kanan's third season was winding down, with writers' and actors' strikes to follow, and jobs have been very slow to rebound since then.

So it's nice to report that I got a call this afternoon for a single day of work tomorrow, from a former employer (from my favorite movie experience to date, actually) with a quick and easy assignment that's not even too difficult a commute (Yonkers).  I'm not holding my breath for it to become full-time, but she says her season so far has been sufficiently chaotic that there have been a lot of quick temporary overhires like this; and if she can use me even on an ad-hoc basis, I wouldn't mind going back to "day-playing" for a little while.

Meanwhile, I'm still doing odd days for NYCO, helping them organize their prop and costume storage for an impending move from Orange County to Queens, and also getting ready to repaint a friend's apartment before he puts it back on the market.  Both at far less than union rates, alas, but at least some money will be coming in, and the next couple of weeks will be busy.

To celebrate, I went on a small theatre binge just now, getting some TDF-discount seats to see Days of Wine and Roses on Wednesday night, and also picking up a full-price ticket to Dead Outlaw near the end of the month.

[Ed.: After I arrived for the union job yesterday 4/12, their schedule got shifted around so that my quick-and-easy assignment isn't happening until today 4/13, so I was given other stuff to do all day AND asked back for a second day of work today.  Double yay, and now I feel more justified in seeing TWO shows by way of celebration.]