13 December 2017 Sunny Wednesday

Started by KathyB, Dec 13, 2017, 02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyB

It's sunny and relatively warm again, although not as warm as yesterday, when we hit something in the high 60s. It is theoretically supposed to snow one or two inches tonight, but I'll believe it when I see it. We are having the longest snow drought in recent memory.

In other news, I need to figure out what to make for dinner tonight. And the local PBS pledge drive is finally over!

DiveMilw

I have a question for everyone.  How important do you think it is for an electric clock to have a battery backup?  
I got a clock for my parents.  It shows the time, day of the week, date and says if it is morning, afternoon, etc.  It is to help those with memory issues keep track of the day.  It has to be plugged in.  I thought I was getting one that has a battery backup for the time but it turns out I didn't read carefully and got a model which does not.  The backup only backs up the time, not all the other info.  
Should I return it and get one with the backup or do you think it isn't needed?
I no longer long for the old view!

KathyB

How often does your power go out?

Mine goes out all the time for a few seconds at a time, so a battery backup is helpful. If yours rarely goes out, I'd say a battery backup isn't needed.

DiveMilw

Quote from: KathyB on Dec 14, 2017, 11:06 AMHow often does your power go out?

Mine goes out all the time for a few seconds at a time, so a battery backup is helpful. If yours rarely goes out, I'd say a battery backup isn't needed.
Great minds think alike!  After thinking about it and talking it over with the co-worker who told me about the clock. that is what I decided.  Also, since it only keeps track of the time and not the date, etc it may be confusing when the power comes back on.  It will be easier if everything is wrong until someone (me) can reset it. 
Our power might go out once a year.  That's not enough to warrant the battery backup.  Thanks for you input, @KathyB.
I no longer long for the old view!