23 June 2017 - Thank Friday it's Friday

Started by Vera Charles, Jun 23, 2017, 04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vera Charles

Lovely cool day here in South West England. I am very glad it's Friday, even though I am actually working tomorrow and Sunday. I'm just out of a very heated "discussion" with my boss during which there was shouting and crying (her, not me  ::) ). I've never wanted a Gin and Slim more, but sadly I've got another 5 hours to endure before I can have one! Oh, and the office printer/photocopier has broken and won't be repaired until at least 3 and I've got a massive pile of printing and photocopying to do before I'll be able to go home.  >:(

iheartgranola

Just as Cleveland stopped being hotter than Satan's nethers, we drove down to Dayton [southwest ohio, for those who aren't familiar] to spend the weekend with my in laws and it's sticky and humid and hot and awful. I really need to find a place to live that's like 65 degrees year round with no humidity but also has a big lake or sea or ocean as well as mountains for the pretty scenery. Can anyone help me out? Is that asking too much?

artscallion

Quote from: iheartgranola on Jun 23, 2017, 06:05 AMJust as Cleveland stopped being hotter than Satan's nethers, we drove down to Dayton [southwest ohio, for those who aren't familiar] to spend the weekend with my in laws and it's sticky and humid and hot and awful. I really need to find a place to live that's like 65 degrees year round with no humidity but also has a big lake or sea or ocean as well as mountains for the pretty scenery. Can anyone help me out? Is that asking too much?

San Diego
Currently helping Dan search for his chocolate that I ate last night.

Vera Charles

Quote from: iheartgranola on Jun 23, 2017, 06:05 AMust as Cleveland stopped being hotter than Satan's nethers, we drove down to Dayton [southwest ohio, for those who aren't familiar] to spend the weekend with my in laws and it's sticky and humid and hot and awful. I really need to find a place to live that's like 65 degrees year round with no humidity but also has a big lake or sea or ocean as well as mountains for the pretty scenery. Can anyone help me out? Is that asking too much?

If you're prepared to live with 65 degrees one day a year, then I'd recommend Fort William or Inverness   ;)  ;)

Gsavage14

We've finally 'exchanged' on our house!!!
Not sure that the British way of house buying bears much relation to that stateside, but for those who are interested (and to whom this means anything), we had the offer accepted in March, and have been ready to exchange contracts since the middle of April, with a moving date of 5 July booked in since this time. That meant we had to have exchanged by the end of today, if that was to happen.
Despite having 3 months to get this sorted, one of the solicitors further up the chain only decided to prepare the paperwork for her clients (the people we're buying the house from) LAST FRIDAY!! During this time, she's also managed to go completely AWOL, ignore her clients request that we exchange asap, refuse to take calls from the estate agent, and as of yesterday was even refusing to speak to her own clients! Needless to say this has left us slightly on edge, especially as changing the moving day would have cost us considerable amounts of money due to removals being booked, time off work, etc, and even this morning looked as though there was a good chance that she was going to screw everything up for all four of us in the chain.

Still, it's all done now, so we shall be spending the next few days putting everything else into boxes (even the kids if they keep waking up at 5am...) accompanied by a lovely chilled bottle of dry white (or two... or three...)

Gsavage14

Quote from: Vera Charles on Jun 23, 2017, 06:29 AM
Quote from: iheartgranola on Jun 23, 2017, 06:05 AMust as Cleveland stopped being hotter than Satan's nethers, we drove down to Dayton [southwest ohio, for those who aren't familiar] to spend the weekend with my in laws and it's sticky and humid and hot and awful. I really need to find a place to live that's like 65 degrees year round with no humidity but also has a big lake or sea or ocean as well as mountains for the pretty scenery. Can anyone help me out? Is that asking too much?

If you're prepared to live with 65 degrees one day a year, then I'd recommend Fort William or Inverness   ;)  ;)

I love Fort William (and Inverness) - we spent the first couple of days of our honeymoon in Fort William, before heading off for a tour around the Highlands :) X

KathyB

Quote from: artscallion on Jun 23, 2017, 06:13 AM
Quote from: iheartgranola on Jun 23, 2017, 06:05 AMJust as Cleveland stopped being hotter than Satan's nethers, we drove down to Dayton [southwest ohio, for those who aren't familiar] to spend the weekend with my in laws and it's sticky and humid and hot and awful. I really need to find a place to live that's like 65 degrees year round with no humidity but also has a big lake or sea or ocean as well as mountains for the pretty scenery. Can anyone help me out? Is that asking too much?

San Diego

You beat me to it.

Vera Charles

Quote from: Gsavage14 on Jun 23, 2017, 06:35 AMStill, it's all done now, so we shall be spending the next few days putting everything else into boxes (even the kids if they keep waking up at 5am...) accompanied by a lovely chilled bottle of dry white (or two... or three...)

That's brilliant news, Graeme, what a huge relief for you all.

George

Quote from: Gsavage14 on Jun 23, 2017, 06:35 AMWe've finally 'exchanged' on our house!!!
Not sure that the British way of house buying bears much relation to that stateside, but for those who are interested (and to whom this means anything), we had the offer accepted in March, and have been ready to exchange contracts since the middle of April, with a moving date of 5 July booked in since this time. That meant we had to have exchanged by the end of today, if that was to happen.
Despite having 3 months to get this sorted, one of the solicitors further up the chain only decided to prepare the paperwork for her clients (the people we're buying the house from) LAST FRIDAY!! During this time, she's also managed to go completely AWOL, ignore her clients request that we exchange asap, refuse to take calls from the estate agent, and as of yesterday was even refusing to speak to her own clients! Needless to say this has left us slightly on edge, especially as changing the moving day would have cost us considerable amounts of money due to removals being booked, time off work, etc, and even this morning looked as though there was a good chance that she was going to screw everything up for all four of us in the chain.

Still, it's all done now, so we shall be spending the next few days putting everything else into boxes (even the kids if they keep waking up at 5am...) accompanied by a lovely chilled bottle of dry white (or two... or three...)

Congratulations!

So it sounds like you haven't moved out yet? In the States, we have a "closing," (FTC's David is a closing attorney in Atlanta) which means the title is officially transferred from seller to buyer, and the property becomes the buyer's. By that time, everything is moved out and all that needs to be done is to have both parties sign about 200 different documents and exchange the keys (and the garage door openers, if applicable).
¡Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas!

Gsavage14

Quote from: George on Jun 23, 2017, 09:05 AM
Quote from: Gsavage14 on Jun 23, 2017, 06:35 AMWe've finally 'exchanged' on our house!!!

Congratulations!

So it sounds like you haven't moved out yet? In the States, we have a "closing," (FTC's David is a closing attorney in Atlanta) which means the title is officially transferred from seller to buyer, and the property becomes the buyer's. By that time, everything is moved out and all that needs to be done is to have both parties sign about 200 different documents and exchange the keys (and the garage door openers, if applicable).

Thanks George!
Yep, the contracts are sorted, but we don't complete (or hand over the keys & rest of the money) until 5 July - our 'completion' (like your closing, I guess).

But we're past the point of no return now - all very convoluted and stressful, but the wine has now been poured... 🍾🍷🏠🎉📦

Chris L

Quote from: Gsavage14 on Jun 23, 2017, 10:23 AM🍾🍷🏠🎉📦

@Gsavage14 - Thou surpasseth my understanding of the board I'm supposed to be moderating, Graeme. How exactly did you insert those images? I love them! Yet when I look at the HTML for your message, they just appear. Are you cutting and pasting? Using some hitherto unknown combination of keys? I desperately want to know!
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Vera Charles

@Chris L  💃🏻🤦‍♀️💪🏻🍸👐✍️👩‍💻

Vera Charles

Quote from: Vera Charles on Jun 23, 2017, 11:10 AM@Chris L  💃🏻🤦‍♀️💪🏻🍸👐✍️👩‍💻

Added using the emojis on my iPad.

Gsavage14

Quote from: Chris L on Jun 23, 2017, 11:03 AM
Quote from: Gsavage14 on Jun 23, 2017, 10:23 AM🍾🍷🏠🎉📦

@Gsavage14 - Thou surpasseth my understanding of the board I'm supposed to be moderating, Graeme. How exactly did you insert those images? I love them! Yet when I look at the HTML for your message, they just appear. Are you cutting and pasting? Using some hitherto unknown combination of keys? I desperately want to know!

What is this knowledge worth?!? Nyahahahaha!!

Oh, it would appear that @Vera Charles  has stolen my thunder... they're just iPhone emojis...

😂😊🍾

MartinG

Morals tomorrow