Ready Player One

Started by Chris L, Jul 22, 2017, 01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris L

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline was a bestseller several years ago and one of the half-dozen most compulsively readable books I've ever picked up. It's a feather-light YA novel for grown-ups, about virtual-reality, a massively multiplayer computer game (essentially an entire virtual universe running on a future version of the Internet) and nostalgia for the 1980s (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Rush, et al). Now Stephen Spielberg has made a film of it and the first trailer, released at Comic-Con, looks amazing. (@Divemilw, you'll want to check this out.)

But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

DiveMilw

A friend had posted this on her facebook feed and I just watched it.  I was hoping to surprise you with it (and test out the video embedding) but - no surprise - you had already posted.  :)
This looks quite fun but now I must re-read the book!
I no longer long for the old view!

Chris L

Quote from: DiveMilw on Jul 22, 2017, 05:05 PMA friend had posted this on her facebook feed and I just watched it.  I was hoping to surprise you with it (and test out the video embedding) but - no surprise - you had already posted.  :)
This looks quite fun but now I must re-read the book!
I remember that you liked it a lot. I'm not going to reread it, but I can't wait for the film. (Not until next March, alas. Spielberg will be finished with his movie on the Pentagon Papers by then.)
But us, old friend,

DiveMilw

It's not scheduled to come out until March?!?! I was hoping for this winter. Next year is too long to wait.

Chris L

Quote from: DiveMilw on Jul 23, 2017, 07:18 AMIt's not scheduled to come out until March?!?! I was hoping for this winter. Next year is too long to wait.
You now only have a little more than a week to wait. Early reviews on Metacritic aren't especially enthusiastic, but I'm hoping the reviews get better when the film actually comes out. The trailers still look great and I've seen some positive advance word online.
But us, old friend,

DiveMilw

With my work schedule I may have to wait until next week to see it.  Stupid work.  Always getting in the way of seeing movies.   ;D

DiveMilw

Saw it today after work and really, really enjoyed it.  I just re-watched the trailer and there were things in there I didn't see in the film.  I anticipate watching this many more times since you can't see everything the first time.  I'm glad I decided to see it because it was a wonderful way to spend my afternoon!  

(I haven't re-read the book yet.  I decided to wait so it wouldn't be fresh in my mind when I saw the movie.  But now I'm going to re-read it.  Off to the library's website!)

DiveMilw

Fun fact - As I was placing a hold on the Ready Player One ebook I figured out that I had gotten the plot for RP1 mixed up with Armada.  I read Armada last so that is my excuse. 
I also think I got some of the details of Reamde: A Novel mixed up with RP1, specifically the uber player walking "dazed" on autopilot through the role playing worlds.