The Night Manager

Started by Chris L, Jul 31, 2017, 01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris L

Amy and I binge-watched this British miniseries on Amazon Prime last week and Amy, at least, was pleasantly surprised at how much she enjoyed it. (I enjoyed it too, but I expected to. Amy was afraid that it would be a convoluted spy drama.)

Although it's a bit slow to get off the mark, it's actually a straightforward revenge narrative, based on a 1993 John LeCarre novel, and much of the early suspense for me was over when I'd finally get to see Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie acting together. I know Hiddleston primarily from his recurring role as Thor's stepbrother Loki in the Marvel films and Laurie as Stephen Fry's partner and as medical detective Gregory House, M.D. The show gives them a chance to do some very watchable acting by putting them in a dramatic situation relative to one another that I won't describe further, because it would give away the entire plot.

Anybody else seen this? Any comments?
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

MartinG

We thought it was great, very compelling and brought right up to date. There was serious commentary re Hiddleston's suitability as the next James Bond on the strength of it at the time it aired. 
The wonderful Tom Hollander is a treat too.  ;D
Morals tomorrow

Gordonb

It was fabulous tv - kudos too to Tom Hollander and boo to Hugh "no more Mr Nice Guy" Laurie. 

When we were in Mallorca last autum we were having lunch on the beach at Port de Pollença when we realised we were within spitting distance of Roper's estate. 

Gordonb

Quote from: MartinG on Jul 31, 2017, 07:38 AMWe thought it was great, very compelling and brought right up to date. There was serious commentary re Hiddleston's suitability as the next James Bond on the strength of it at the time it aired.
Not to mention Hiddleston's bottom! And the general gorgeousness of Elizabeth thingummy. 

AmyG

Quote from: MartinG on Jul 31, 2017, 07:38 AMWe thought it was great, very compelling and brought right up to date. There was serious commentary re Hiddleston's suitability as the next James Bond on the strength of it at the time it aired.
Hiddleston would make a great Bond!

Chris L

It looks like Daniel Craig, despite all his protests to the contrary, will be playing Bond at least through 2019. In some ways that may work to Hiddleston's advantage, because at present he's almost too young and pretty to play Bond. Another few years may give him the appropriately grizzled look.

This article in The Sun gives 3 to 1 odds that either Michael Fassbender or Aidan Turner will be the next Bond. I'd still like to see Idris Elba in the part, but he might be too old and grizzled by the time it opens up. Fassbender would be good, though.
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Leighton

Watched it when it first aired and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Self indulgence is better than no indulgence!