Main Menu

Rise

Started by scenicdesign71, May 11, 2018, 01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scenicdesign71

Partly because a friend worked on Rise, and partly out of generic interest in the subject, I recently binged the first nine episodes (of ten; the season finale isn't out until next week).

It has some pretty serious problems -- though, on balance, not as serious as those that plagued Smash and Glee at their respective worsts.  But it also has an appealing cast, for whose sake one can put up with a certain amount of clumsy writing.  In spite of the show's issues, and its not-great ratings, I'm kind of hoping it'll be back for a second season.

I am somewhat curious to read the book it's based on,  Drama High.  For the record, the series's "straightwashing" of its protagonist has thus far struck me as the least of its problems.  Which isn't to say that it isn't a problem; only that the show's writing overall leads me to suspect that this character might have remained just as annoying and ill-conceived even if he had been allowed to more accurately reflect his real-life (gay, and, for much of his tenure as a high-school drama teacher, closeted) counterpart.

But there's still enough that's genuinely good about the show not to begrudge it seven hours of my life.  And it's not inconceivable that, given a second season, it might rise (see what I did there?) from "watchable, with a little patience" to the level of consistently-excellent television.  (True greatness may be beyond it, but where TV shows about theatre are concerned, beggars can't be choosers).

And I am looking forward to the season finale next week.

Anyone else watching?

scenicdesign71