Books: The First Sentence

Started by Chris L, Jul 13, 2017, 01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyB

Chris L

There's a certain thematic relationship between Kathy's book and this one, but I'm not going to say what it is (and you probably have to be over a certain age to get it):

"The gale tore at him and he felt its bite deep within and he knew that if they did not make landfall in three days they would all be dead."
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Chris L

Quote from: Chris L on Feb 04, 2019, 01:14 PMThere's a certain thematic relationship between Kathy's book and this one, but I'm not going to say what it is (and you probably have to be over a certain age to get it):

"The gale tore at him and he felt its bite deep within and he knew that if they did not make landfall in three days they would all be dead."
I'm going to drop this one because I suspect the novel has become too outdated and esoteric. It's Shogun by James Clavell, the thematic continuity with Kathy's post being that, like The Thorn Birds, it had been made into a miniseries starring Richard Chamberlain.

If anyone else has a sentence or paragraph they'd like to try, feel free. If not, I'll post a different one.
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

KathyB

I probably should have been able to get that, because I tried to read Shogun once. I don't remember how far I got, but it was definitely past the first line.

Because I am up to my kneecaps in books right now (no, that's not a euphemism for anything), here's one from the top of one of the piles:

"There was once a boy named Milo who didn't know what to do with himself—not just sometimes, but always."

MartinG

Is it The Phantom Tollbooth? I loved it when I was little but sadly can't seem to find it now. 
Morals tomorrow

AmyG

One of my favorites

You cannot view this attachment.

KathyB

You're both right. :) Your turn, Leighton!

AmyG

I think you mean Martin. 

KathyB

I do.Thank you. I wasn't paying attention. Your turn, Martin!

MartinG

My dear wife Carrie and I have just been a week in our new house, "The Laurels," Brickfield Terrace, Holloway - a nice six-roomed residence, not counting basement, with a front breakfast-parlour.
Morals tomorrow