Secret Sondheim 2018

Started by DiveMilw, Nov 24, 2018, 03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiveMilw

The votes are in and we will be doing Secret Sondheim again this year.  Please post your list and PM me your address/Amazon link by Wed the 28th.  I will drawn names after I get home from work on the 29th.

Stealing the instructions from last year:

Here's how it works:1. If you'd like to participate, say so and post a wishlist of 5 CDs/DVDs/Other Stuff in this thread. Kindly ensure that each item is in print and under US$20.00. . Or, if it's out of print, is readily available used or through a reseller. Remember to give enough information about the items you are requesting (which version of Follies, etc.) Used copies (in good condition, of course!) are fair game unless otherwise indicated.

2. PM me with your name and contact information. Alternatively, you can create an Amazon Wishlist to keep your mailing information private, and PM me the details of the Wishlist on The New FTC. You can also send me the info via Facebook but I'd prefer to gather the info back "home". But if it means you won't participate or might forget then send me the info on FB. I'd rather get the info here than not have you participate!

3. You will be contacted in due course with the name and mailing details of your gift buddy. (The person you are sending a gift to will not necessarily be sending you your gift, but everyone should be both sending and receiving a gift.)

4. Purchase your buddy's gift and send it off allowing time for shipping (extra if you are posting your gift internationally.) You may reveal your identity in the package, but please do not do so beforehand as it ruins the surprise. Feel free to include a bit of Christmas Cheer in your package as well!

5. If you have specific instructions please let me know as well, since many of the members here do not live in the US, or may have delivery instructions that are unique.

6. Feel free to include something unique to your area, postcards, food, crafts, etc.

Please let me know if I've forgotten anything, or if you think something would work better differently this year.
I no longer long for the old view!

KathyB

I'm in!

The one suggestion I have is that people who have an Amazon Wishlist also provide mailing information in case their secret Sondheim wants to give them something personal in addition to the Wishlist. Last year I wanted to send something extra, but only had the wishlist information.

My list (to be updated until the deadline):

Mandy Patinkin—Diary: January 27, 2018 (available digitally only from Amazon or iTunes; I will provide my e-mail address/Apple ID) Amazon iTunes
Mandy Patinkin—Diary: April/May 2018 (Same deal) Amazon iTunes
Come From Away OBC (I'd like this one physically)
Audra McDonald & New York Philharmonic—Sing Happy (can be either physical or digital) Amazon iTunes
The Boys in the Boat Kindle book

MartinG

Grateful thanks Tom for stepping up to the plate yet again.  :)

This is my list.
Morals tomorrow

DiveMilw

My evolving list:

Used is fine for any of them.

1. Liaisons: Re-Imagining Sondheim

2. Everybody's Talking About Jamie: The Original West End Cast Recording

3. Sunday In The Park With George 2017

4. Finishing the Hat: Collected Lyrics (1954-1981) with Attendant Comments, Principles, Heresies, Grudges, Whines and Anecdotes

5. "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours" by Manic Street Preachers

DiveMilw

Reminder: If you'd like to participate please get me your information (or at least post your list here) by the end of the day today, Wed the 28th. Thanks!

Chris L

Tom, this duplicates the list I sent you on Facebook, but I felt an obligation to put it here too, given that Amy and I run this site.

Sondheim Santa List

All are Kindle books, so my address is unnecessary.

But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

DiveMilw

I'm extending the deadline until this Sunday (Dec 2nd) evening.  I will to the name drawing on Monday.    I'd like to give newcomers some extra time so we can get more people involved.  Also, I don't really have much time for "extra" stuff on work nights. 

DiveMilw

All the Secret Sondheim information was sent out to participants today. If you sent me a list and you didn't get a "giftee" please let me know. It was a little confusing for me this year as I had to keep track of four different sources of information. Hopefully, I captured it all but if not please let me know.

Because of the late start this year aim to have the packages arrive by New Year's. Happy Sondheiming!!

PS - D
ouble check to make sure the wish list you got is for your giftee. Amazon was doing some weird things when I was copying the web address for each list.

Chris L

I want to publicly thank Tom for running the Secret Sondheim project this year. It's a big job and probably even bigger now that Tom's opened it up to Facebook Sondheads as well as the ones here. I'm looking forward to my gift and sending one to my recipient.

I deliberately went with an all e-book list this year, because it occurred to me that I already had more Sondheim music than I can possibly listen to on Spotify. My Kindle is also looking forward to its present. ;)
But us, old friend,

Jenniferlillian

Well, I got confirmation that my Secret Sondheim got his presents... hopefully they arrived in tact :)

Chris L

My Secret Sondheim present has arrived, but I've already let the sender know privately. It's sitting happily under the tree and hopefully won't be eaten by cats.

My gift recipient, on the other hand, is going to have a longer wait, because I didn't realize how long it took mail to get to where they live!
But us, old friend,

KathyB

I just want to publicly thank my Secret Sondheim for my present, which has provided some great listening! Thank you!

MartinG

Quote from: Jenniferlillian on Dec 22, 2018, 11:14 AMWell, I got confirmation that my Secret Sondheim got his presents... hopefully they arrived in tact :)
Yes indeed, grateful thanks @Jenniferlillian. Now begins the perennial agonising wait for people to disappear so I can check out Groundhog Day properly. I love the notebook too!  ;D :-* xx
Morals tomorrow

Chris L

I want to publicly thank @KathyB for sending me a copy of the KBCO 30th Anniversary CD, which contains two discs of classic rock, folk, etc., much of it by performers I love -- the Decemberists, Elvis Costello -- but doing songs I'm not familiar with. Can't wait to plug it into the CD player and remind myself what it's like to listen to music that isn't streaming over the Internet.

I know she also sent me an ebook, but I've never asked for an ebook present before and I have to figure out how to get it on my Kindle!
But us, old friend,

DiveMilw

I am painfully delayed in thanking Bobster for my wonderful Secret Sondheim gift.  He sent me "Finishing the Hat" and the wonderful Signature Theater's "Loving Sondheim is not a Choice, It's Who I Am" t-shirt.  (which I wore a LOT the past two days)  I know I'm terribly late to the party reading this book and I can't wait to delved into it.