July 10, 2017 - Mine!

Started by George, Jul 10, 2017, 07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

I get to start the Daily Thread! Yay!

That's really all I have to say. Typical Monday (a very rainy one) in Chicagoland. Hard to believe it's almost mid-July already, and summer will be over at the end of next month. Well, not officially, but I always equate back-to-school time with the end of summer.

What's been the highlight of everyone's summer so far?
¡Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas!

KathyB

Quote from: George on Jul 10, 2017, 07:18 AMWhat's been the highlight of everyone's summer so far?

This board's arrival.

mrssondheim

A blank page or canvas. My favorite.

DiveMilw

Quote from: George on Jul 10, 2017, 07:18 AMWhat's been the highlight of everyone's summer so far?

Wondering when our flight to Chicago was going to leave this morning because of the rain there.  (George wasn't kidding.  ORD had a ground stop for a while and then long delays leading into this afternoon.  Some of our evening flight are even affected because of this.)  ["Ground Stop" is when no planes can take off and/or land at an airport.  Generally, a "Ground Delay Program" will follow the Ground Stop with metered take offs and landing, meaning the arrivals and departures are even more regulated than they already are.  Basically, it slows everything down and flights get canceled because there are more than time allows.  For instance, the Ground Stop was lifted around 8:00 EST this morning.  Our flight to Chicago at 11:00 EST was a little delayed because of the metered arrivals. And a flight coming from Chicago was almost 3.5 hours late getting to us.]

OK.  That isn't the highlight of the summer.  But it really wasn't a bad day.  Even the issues with the weather - which were our only problems this morning - weren't too bad.

I'm not sure that I have a big highlight yet.  I've gotten out and about more this summer and am making an effort to see the sights.  That's been nice.  But I'm going to agree with Kathy that this board is THE highlight so far!
I no longer long for the old view!

Chris L

Yesterday Los Angeles hit a record high temperature for the date (Hello, climate change!) of 98 degrees, breaking a record set in 1886. We lucked out and only reached the mid 80s, but downtown LA is further inland and tends to get the worst of these heat waves.

I was out here several years ago when downtown LA hit its all-time record high of something like 118 degrees. The area where we lived came in at least 10 degrees cooler, but it was still pretty hot. Let's hope LA doesn't try for any more records this year.
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Chris L

I am now the first person on the board to become a Sr. Member. Of course, that's not really fair, given that more than 20 percent of the messages on the board are by me.  C:-)
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Bobster

George

Quote from: Chris L on Jul 10, 2017, 01:57 PMI am now the first person on the board to become a Sr. Member. Of course, that's not really fair, given that more than 20 percent of the messages on the board are by me.  C:-)

Is that determined by number of posts? Or age?   O:-)

Quote from: Bobster on Jul 10, 2017, 07:28 PMGetting dumped.

>:(
¡Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas!

mrssondheim

A blank page or canvas. My favorite.

Vera Charles

Quote from: mamarose on Jul 11, 2017, 10:26 AM
Quote from: Bobster on Jul 10, 2017, 07:28 PMGetting dumped.

What the fuck?! Who do I have to beat?

I'll be Aileen's wingman. So sorry, Bobster.

Bobster

Thanks.  It was a bit of a misinterpretation, an "I thought that you'd want what I want, sorry my dear" kinda thing...