July 11, 2017 - To Kill a Mockingbird Published

Started by Chris L, Jul 11, 2017, 01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris L

Skimming Wikipedia for something that happened on this date, I discovered that it was the date when Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird was published. It was also the date when Skylab, the first space station, fell out of orbit and into the Indian Ocean.

It's business as usual for me, with the temperature (according to my watch) at 82 in Long Beach. How's everybody else's day going?
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

MartinG

Not a fun day for me. Had to have a tooth extracted 😕😣😷. Fortunately the fellow had decidedly more dexterity than a street mountebank.
Morals tomorrow

Vera Charles

Quote from: MartinG on Jul 11, 2017, 02:06 PMNot a fun day for me. Had to have a tooth extracted 😕😣😷. Fortunately the fellow had decidedly more dexterity than a street mountebank.

Ouch! Not a fun day for me, either. Long story short, we're at least three members of staff down at the moment and I offered (with no thanks or bonus) to take on some extra tasks that have nothing to do with my current role. I expressed my concern about taking on even more additional tasks as assigned (rather aggressively in my opinion) by my boss, citing lack of time to do them to an acceptable level and I was attacked for my lack of commitment. I am the only person in the office to offer to take on additional tasks and yet I'm the one accused of lack of commitment. Aaaaarrrgh!

KathyB

Today it is supposedly less hot than it has been (lower 90s rather than mid-90s), but I can't really tell a difference. I spent this morning running errands, then came home in expectation of being called to teleconference in a meeting, but no one called me. I've spent something like five hours today working on a newsletter, which looks like :P right now. Maybe later this week I can focus more on making it look decent. Right now I can't look at this newsletter any more without pulling my hair out.

DiveMilw

Today I could be heard/whine to say to a co-worker "I will if I get any time to do it."  This was followed up with "I'll have time.  It's just too hot for me right now."  I was able to do what was requested in the unexpected hour of free time I had shortly after our conversation.  But the five minute task took 20 minutes because there is ALWAYS a complication when you are dealing with a software program.  (I could log into one system but not the second so we had to figure out how to get my profile active in the second system.  This took some trial and error because we don't use the second system very much and that is why my profile "deactivated".   
I no longer long for the old view!

mrssondheim

Today was "eh".  I am going through a depression right now, and am financially strapped, so I spend a lot of time at home.  Today I  slept A LOT.  Too much really.  This too shall pass, but for now its a little hard.  Tomorrow will be better.
A blank page or canvas. My favorite.

Vera Charles

Quote from: mamarose on Jul 11, 2017, 07:42 PMToday was "eh".  I am going through a depression right now, and am financially strapped, so I spend a lot of time at home.  Today I  slept A LOT.  Too much really.  This too shall pass, but for now its a little hard.  Tomorrow will be better.
@mamarose Oh, Aileen, I'm so sorry to hear that. This, too, will pass. In the meantime, take care of yourself.  :-*

DiveMilw

Quote from: mamarose on Jul 11, 2017, 07:42 PMToday was "eh".  I am going through a depression right now, and am financially strapped, so I spend a lot of time at home.  Today I  slept A LOT.  Too much really.  This too shall pass, but for now its a little hard.  Tomorrow will be better.

Yes it will. If things feel worse don't forget that they will get better. You are 1000% correct about that!
I no longer long for the old view!