Books: The First Sentence

Started by Chris L, Jul 13, 2017, 01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris L

Okay, @Leighton - I don't think anybody else is going to get it. It's Stephen King's The Gunslinger.

"When I think of my wife, I always think of her head."
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Chris L

The rest of the first paragraph:

When I think of my wife, I always think of her head. The shape of it, to begin with. The very first time I saw her, it was the back of the head I saw, and there was something lovely about it, the angles of it. Like a shiny, hard corn kernel or a riverbed fossil. She had what the Victorians would call a finely shaped head. You could imagine the skull quite easily.
But us, old friend,

KathyB

I don't know the answer, but I have the suspicion I've read this one.

Chris L

Quote from: KathyB on Nov 05, 2018, 02:20 PMI don't know the answer, but I have the suspicion I've read this one.
I'd be surprised if you hadn't. Hint: It's from this decade.
But us, old friend,

Chris L

Quote from: Chris L on Nov 05, 2018, 04:42 PM
Quote from: KathyB on Nov 05, 2018, 02:20 PMI don't know the answer, but I have the suspicion I've read this one.
Another hint: The book's title is a synonym for "Departed Young Female."
But us, old friend,

KathyB

Quote from: Chris L on Nov 25, 2018, 03:32 PM
Quote from: Chris L on Nov 05, 2018, 04:42 PM
Another hint: The book's title is a synonym for "Departed Young Female."
Oh! It's Gone Girl I didn't realize those were the first words.

Chris L

Quote from: KathyB on Nov 26, 2018, 11:33 AMOh! It's Gone Girl I didn't realize those were the first words.
Nobody did, apparently. ;)
Your turn.
But us, old friend,

KathyB

"On December 8th, 1915, Meggie Cleary had her fourth birthday."

Chris L

Quote from: KathyB on Nov 26, 2018, 04:42 PM"On December 8th, 1915, Meggie Cleary had her fourth birthday."
Just a guess, because I don't remember that much about how the novel opened, but Atonement?
But us, old friend,

KathyB

Good guess, but sadly, incorrect. Different part of the world.

KathyB

I gave the first sentence of the novel itself, but there is an opening paragraph before the beginning of the book that starts out like this:

There is a legend about a bird which sings just once in its life, more sweetly than any other creature on the face of the earth.

Chris L

That sounds very familiar, but I'm having trouble placing it. I'm going to request a hint: Is it fantasy?
But us, old friend,

KathyB

Quote from: Chris L on Jan 19, 2019, 05:16 PMThat sounds very familiar, but I'm having trouble placing it. I'm going to request a hint: Is it fantasy?
No. It's historical fiction. (bonus hint)

KathyB

It's historical fiction, written by the most well-known resident of Norfolk Island. 

Chris L

I decided I was allowed to cheat at this point, so I looked up Norfolk Island and learned that Colleen McCullough lived there. Is it The Thorn Birds?
But us, old friend,