Books: The First Sentence

Started by Chris L, Jul 13, 2017, 01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinG

Morals tomorrow

valmont

For a long time I used to go to bed early.
I was born to ask "why was I born?"

valmont

For a long time I used to go to bed early. Sometimes, when I had put out my candle, my eyes would close so quickly that I had not even time to say "I'm going to sleep." And half an hour later the thought that it was time to go to sleep would awaken me; I would try to put away the book which, I imagined, was still in my hands, and to blow out the light; I had been thinking all the time, while I was asleep, of what I had just been reading, but my thoughts had run into a channel of their own, until I myself seemed actually to have become the subject of my book: a church, a quartet, the rivalry between François I and Charles V.

valmont

Hint: this is a translation from the original language.

MartinG

Ah, so might it be A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu?
Morals tomorrow

valmont

MartinG

A squat grey building of only thirty-four storeys.
Morals tomorrow

Chris L

But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

MartinG

It's a dystopian vision with a title from a stormy swansong...
Morals tomorrow

Chris L

But us, old friend,

Chris L

I checked and I'm correct, so...

umber whunnnn
yerrrnnn umber
fayunnnn
But us, old friend,

valmont

Chris L

But us, old friend,

valmont

The story had held us, round the fire, sufficiently breathless, but except the obvious remark that it was gruesome, as, on Christmas Eve in an old house, a strange tale should essentially be, I remember no comment uttered till somebody happened to say that it was the only case he had met in which such a visitation had fallen on a child. 

valmont

That's the first sentence of the prologue.  Here's the first sentence of the narrative proper:

I remember the whole beginning as a succession of flights and drops, a little seesaw of the right throbs and the wrong.