West Side Story (2021 film)

Started by scenicdesign71, Jun 20, 2019, 01:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scenicdesign71

Jul 11, 2019, 11:40 pm #1 Last Edit: Jul 18, 2019, 04:38 pm by scenicdesign71
Diplomatic exchange(?) among the two Latinx-themed movie musicals currently filming in NYC: Mr. Sondheim and Mr. Miranda each recently stopped by the West Side Story set, while both Mr. Kushner and Ms. Tesori were seen visiting that of In The Heights.  (Not seen by me personally, I should add; I heard these tidbits the old-fashioned way, from such exclusive insider-y sources as BroadwayWorld and LMM's public Twitter feed).

scenicdesign71

Oct 10, 2020, 05:15 pm #3 Last Edit: Apr 27, 2021, 04:58 pm by scenicdesign71
I only grokked this just now, but several weeks ago it was announced that the release date for Spielberg's West Side Story remake has been pushed off to December 10, 2021:

https://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/west-side-story-remake-release-delayed-by-a-full-y_91460.html

In the months since In The Heights bumped its own release forward a year (from June 2020 to June 2021), I've been curious whether WSS would end up doing the same -- so while this is disappointing for the short term, it isn't too surprising.

scenicdesign71

Apr 25, 2021, 10:43 pm #4 Last Edit: Nov 03, 2021, 09:53 pm by scenicdesign71

The gentle, pointedly unclassical voice lullaby-ing bits of "Somewhere" in this trailer belongs to Rita Moreno (at least, if the closed captions are to be believed; they identify the offscreen singer as "Valentina," the new gender-flipped Doc character played by Moreno).

She's actually meant to be his widow, according to Vanity Fair among other sources; hence, presumably, the literal inheritor of Doc's eponymous neutral-ground corner store.  But there must surely be more to it than a chance to shoehorn Moreno into the cast as more than a fleeting fan-service cameo.  If Valentina's was a cross-cultural marriage (which I'm guessing, on no particular evidence), does it offer a hopeful example -- or conversely, a cautionary one -- to Tony and Maria?  What was the older couple's life together like?  When and how did Doc die -- and how have his widow, and their store, been faring since then?

Obviously I'm itching with curiosity about what Tony Kushner's screenplay has in store for us.  As dream teams for this movie go, Spielberg/Kushner/Tesori still completely blows my mind.  (Tesori's credit, per IMDb, is "supervising vocal producer," and her presence gives me much more faith than usual that the singing is being handled intelligently).

And those gorgeous images...

scenicdesign71

scenicdesign71

scenicdesign71

scenicdesign71

scenicdesign71

scenicdesign71

Dec 03, 2021, 10:45 am #10 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2021, 11:27 am by scenicdesign71
So far, despite near-universal shrugs for Ansel Elgort's Tony, the reviews are glowing (97% on Rotten Tomatoes, 85 on Metacritic) -- none more so than Justin Chang's for the Los Angeles Times.

Also, the soundtrack is available to stream now on Apple Music and Amazon and YouTube Music, a week ahead of its CD/vinyl release (and the film's opening) on December 10.

I'm excited to see the film next week!