15-July17 Mid-July Already?!?!?!?!

Started by DiveMilw, Jul 14, 2017, 11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiveMilw

Can't believe July is soon to be half over. 

Question for the day: Is it OK to take photos of the pre-show set while waiting for the show to start?  Sometimes it is the set, sometimes just a curtain, sometimes a hybrid of both. I don't hesitate to do this at a rock concert but am not sure this is an acceptable practice in the theater. (Although I did it yesterday and am regretting it.)  What are your thoughts?
I no longer long for the old view!

Chris L

Quote from: DiveMilw on Jul 14, 2017, 11:06 PMCan't believe July is soon to be half over. 

Question for the day: Is it OK to take photos of the pre-show set while waiting for the show to start?  Sometimes it is the set, sometimes just a curtain, sometimes a hybrid of both. I don't hesitate to do this at a rock concert but am not sure this is an acceptable practice in the theater. (Although I did it yesterday and am regretting it.)  What are your thoughts?

Some show we saw recently actually had a sign up, or an announcement, that pre-show photos of the set weren't allowed. (Amy - Do you remember that?) But I've taken photos of the set before several shows and nobody seemed annoyed. Of course, they probably didn't notice either.
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Bobster

Broadway has been a little more tolerant (there's really nothing they can do) for pre-shows.  It varies.  You took a nice one for Dear Evan Hanson.

MartinG

I have no qualms about snapping sets before 'curtain-up'. It's not going to distract anyone, and it's highly unlikely to contain any spoilers. Of course I check no theatre staff are in the vicinity first... ;)

Great to note the appearance of @LeonoraArmfeldt on the block  ;D
Morals tomorrow

Gordonb

I am not really sure why Venus Williams crumbled so dramatically in the second set, but full marks to Garbine Muguruza for taking the Wimbledon women's singles title.

I have been meaning to contribute more to the board but whereas life is good here it is a tad mundane - the highlight of this week for example was the delivery of the new "Dyson V8 Absolute" cordless vacuum cleaner! A revelation honestly and I can't stop using it which is a big change from our other Miele vac which was an effort to take out of the cupboard, plug in, attach the relevant hose and then try to drag it around the house; a Dyson doubter/naysayer no more!

In other slightly more interesting news we have trips lined up to Uzumlu in Turkey in September/October for my birthday, and to Rome for Rey's in December. It's a big birthday for me this year (less big for Rey) - the one where I am able, if I want, to start to claim my state pension! It's sort of scary to contemplate this as when my dad hit 65 (30+ years ago) he was an old man who was ready to pack up work - on any given day I still don't really feel that way; it's funny old thing the ageing process.

A couple of thick and juicy pork rib chops for supper tonight accompanied by gnocchi di patata with a sage butter sauce, with a glass of something white and chilled I suspect :)

Vera Charles

Quote from: Gordonb on Jul 15, 2017, 08:49 AMI am not really sure why Venus Williams crumbled so dramatically in the second set, but full marks to Garbine Muguruza for taking the Wimbledon women's singles title.

I have been meaning to contribute more to the board but whereas life is good here it is a tad mundane - the highlight of this week for example was the delivery of the new "Dyson V8 Absolute" cordless vacuum cleaner! A revelation honestly and I can't stop using it which is a big change from our other Miele vac which was an effort to take out of the cupboard, plug in, attach the relevant hose and then try to drag it around the house; a Dyson doubter/naysayer no more!

My Dyson V8 is the main reason I completely forgot to watch Wimbledon this afternoon, Gordon. I bought mine a few months ago and LOVE it. I've had a busy six weeks or so and seriously fell behind with my housework! I've been blitzing it today and it would have been so painful without my Dyson.

I'm very envious of your travel plans - but hugely excited about our trip to Follies in September.

Gordonb

Quote from: Vera Charles on Jul 15, 2017, 09:02 AM
Quote from: Gordonb on Jul 15, 2017, 08:49 AMI'm very envious of your travel plans - but hugely excited about our trip to Follies in September.

I've also bought myself a single front row ticket for the matinee on December 16th as an early Christmas gift from me to me! Only £15 too.

I seem to recall that the Olivier front row seats are slightly more "cosy" than regular seats but £15 with the chance of seeing Mr Quast et al spitting and sweating ... quite a bargain I think.

I assumed that you would have had staff to do your cleaning Mairi!

Vera Charles

Quote from: Gordonb on Jul 15, 2017, 09:20 AMI assumed that you would have had staff to do your cleaning Mairi!

I've over-worked them recently and had to give them the weekend off. 🙄

Gordonb

Quote from: Vera Charles on Jul 15, 2017, 09:42 AM
Quote from: Gordonb on Jul 15, 2017, 09:20 AMI assumed that you would have had staff to do your cleaning Mairi!

I've over-worked them recently and had to give them the weekend off. 🙄

You give them a weekend off then what next? Holiday pay? Maternity pay? Before you know where you are wee Nicola Sturgeon will be liking you management style O:-)

Gordonb

Quote from: Vera Charles on Jul 15, 2017, 09:02 AMMy Dyson V8 is the main reason I completely forgot to watch Wimbledon this afternoon, Gordon. I bought mine a few months ago and LOVE it. I've had a busy six weeks or so and seriously fell behind with my housework! I've been blitzing it today and it would have been so painful without my Dyson.

This is only one of the reasons that the the board and the Daily thread need to be kept alive; which other social media site is there where we can discuss the merits, or otherwise, of Sondheim productions, the Olive Garden AND vacuum cleaners? ;D

AmyG

Quote from: Gordonb on Jul 15, 2017, 10:09 AM
Quote from: Vera Charles on Jul 15, 2017, 09:02 AMMy Dyson V8 is the main reason I completely forgot to watch Wimbledon this afternoon, Gordon. I bought mine a few months ago and LOVE it. I've had a busy six weeks or so and seriously fell behind with my housework! I've been blitzing it today and it would have been so painful without my Dyson.

This is only one of the reasons that the the board and the Daily thread need to be kept alive; which other social media site is there where we can discuss the merits, or otherwise, of Sondheim productions, the Olive Garden AND vacuum cleaners? ;D

They do look really cool. I'm sure I would vacuum more if I had one.

DiveMilw

Quote from: Bobster on Jul 15, 2017, 03:42 AMBroadway has been a little more tolerant (there's really nothing they can do) for pre-shows.  It varies.  You took a nice one for Dear Evan Hanson.

Awwww...thanks Robert.  It was a very quick snap after someone next near me took THREE photos WITH THE FLASH ON.  The usher didn't even look in their direction so I took that as an OK to proceed.  I was also thinking that these pre-show photos can be a very effect marketing tool in social media that the productions do not have to pay for.  Aren't I good at justifying the things I want?  ;)

I no longer long for the old view!

Hester Jean

Quote from: DiveMilw on Jul 14, 2017, 11:06 PMCan't believe July is soon to be half over. 

I wanted to wait until after last night to answer.  I volunteer for Union Avenue Opera as an usher and last year we had a 10 minute "Why Patrons Can't Take Pictures of the Set" lecture.  Basically because it is the Scenic Designer's intelligent property and we cannot allow it to be copied.  @scenicdesign71  can answer this more.  BUT last year it was a big deal.  This year, it wasn't mentioned.  Maybe the Scenic Designer of Albert Herring didn't care or they figured it was a battle not worth fighting.

Leighton

Yes, I've always been taught no photos of the set as it's a copyright/intellectual property issue
Self indulgence is better than no indulgence!

Bobster

And whilst that is true, it's harder to stop audience members from posting along with taking selfies--and then it interferes with the ushers getting everyone seated.

Not being creative, I can't give an opinion of what is right...