Follies in London 2017

Started by Chris L, Jun 20, 2017, 09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinG

I'm sure I didn't imagine it  :)
Morals tomorrow

Gordonb

Quote from: MartinG on Dec 16, 2017, 10:24 AMI'm sure I didn't imagine it  :)
Exactly, but @Chris L was beginning to doubt himself.😉

Leighton

Quote from: Gordonb on Dec 16, 2017, 10:13 AM
Quote from: Leighton on Nov 19, 2017, 11:36 AMHow odd!  I wondered if the drag Margie and Sally was typical of the show/written in, or a directorial choice
No drag Margie and Sally today.
That's a change then!
How were the snug seats?
Self indulgence is better than no indulgence!

Gordonb

Quote from: Leighton on Dec 19, 2017, 02:59 PM
Quote from: Gordonb on Dec 16, 2017, 10:13 AM
Quote from: Leighton on Nov 19, 2017, 11:36 AMHow odd!  I wondered if the drag Margie and Sally was typical of the show/written in, or a directorial choice
No drag Margie and Sally today.
That's a change then!
How were the snug seats?
Less snug than the last time I sat in them - I hope that means my fat arse is less fat than it used to be!
It was honestly a stunning position from which to see the show.

Bobster

"Margie" and "Sally" were originally men in drag when the Original production started in Boston but that got changed after just a show or two.

Leighton

Looks like the London production went off that idea, too, then!
Self indulgence is better than no indulgence!

Chris L

We finally saw the NT Live broadcast. Based on some of the comments I've seen on Facebook I was worried that it might not have been a good representation of the stage production, but in fact it was a brilliant representation of the stage production, occasionally even better. Nothing can replace the experience of seeing a show in person, but since we've already seen it in person, it was thrilling to see the actors in close-up, getting a much more detailed view of facial expressions and movements. "Losing My Mind," in particular, was stunning in close-up view.

I'd seen comments online about the staging, about how the actors were too far apart when they interacted or weren't looking at each other, but most of that was the result of the thrust stage. The performers were surrounded by a 180-degree audience and tried to play evenly to all sides. Maybe because I knew where the audience was, this never bothered me in the broadcast. And I still think the cast was superb.

The crossdressing was definitely absent from "Buddies Blues," though. And the projection of Philip Quast on the scrim was there, though the cameras pushed in so tightly on Quast that it wasn't always visible.

One thing that bothered me, though it's rather trivial, is that despite Phyllis's lamentations that she's no longer Juicy Lucy, in close-up Janie Dee is actually sexier than the actress playing her younger ghost, who is at best cute and perky. But maybe that's just a sign that I'm getting old. ;)
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Gordonb

Quote from: Chris L on Jan 07, 2018, 05:26 PMOne thing that bothered me, though it's rather trivial, is that despite Phyllis's lamentations that she's no longer Juicy Lucy, in close-up Janie Dee is actually sexier than the actress playing her younger ghost, who is at best cute and perky. But maybe that's just a sign that I'm getting old. ;)
You are, as is Janie Dee, but to quote Enobarbus in "Antony & Cleopatra":

"Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale
Her infinite variety"

Chris L

That's a horrible photo of Janie Dee!  :-[

(But Juicy Lucy looks as chipmunk-faced as ever.)
But us, old friend,
What's to discuss, old friend?

Gordonb

Quote from: Chris L on Jan 09, 2018, 11:19 AMThat's a horrible photo of Janie 
But when she lets her hair down and kicks out her legs ...

scenicdesign71