14 May 2019 Tuesday in the Heights

Started by scenicdesign71, May 14, 2019, 08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scenicdesign71

... with a whole nine minutes to spare!

Aargh, I want to share all the cool stuff that I'm doing on this new movie job, but I'm not s'posed to.   >:(

It actually began last Friday, and so far I'm really enjoying it: fun projects like murals and lettering and aging samples!  (And that's as much as I'll say for the time being).
 O:-)

...As opposed to endless spackling and sanding and priming, which is mostly what I did for my first several years in the union, though thankfully a lot less in recent seasons of my ongoing TV gig.  (Only three days into this movie, I assume there will be plenty of grunt work at some point, but it's nice to have at least started with some of the fun stuff right off the bat).

In other good news, once this starts filming, at least one of the key locations will be right in my neighborhood, so my commute will become a breeze, literally about a five-minute walk from my apartment.

And in still other good news, this movie job won't go on for as long as I'd feared, so I'm less likely to burn myself out; I might even be able to take a week off before diving back into TV-land when that starts up again.

Plus, in yet more good news!!, a series pilot on which I worked for a few days last month -- under the same boss who's doing this movie -- has been picked up for the fall, and she's hinted that she'd like me to join that crew when production starts up, soon after the movie wraps.  (So actually, that's tricky news, since it means I'll have to make a choice at some point: stick with M.Sec, or jump to this new show?).

And in nifty-to-be-thought-of news, my best (stage-)director friend texted this evening to ask about my availability to design a really really small project about which I need more details -- like when -- but I'm afraid I probably won't have time to do anyway (unless it's not until, like, next fall).  Still, he's actually been on my mind lately -- he's been working out of town for most of this year, and just got back today -- so it's nice to know that I've apparently been on his, too.

And I'm seeing Kiss Me, Kate tomorrow afternoon with my mom.  (The tickets were bought months ago, before I had any inkling about this movie job, so I had to get the day off from work tomorrow).  Should be fun!

So far, this week doesn't suck.